Understanding the Hemi Valve Spring

DynoDon

Many racers who pull the hemi out of the box, set the governor and put it on the kart for racing don’t have a clue or an understanding of the valve springs. I have been asked to explain why the clone spring is legal in the hemi. Here in central Pa we have 3 tracks that follow the same rules package. We do allow the clone springs in the out of the box hemi. WHY? In the beginning the springs were the most controversial item during tech. How could we disqualify an engine if we had no method to measure with? So I started paying attention to the springs in engines I would confiscate and new engines that I purchased. Some springs were weak and some were strong. By strong I mean they would be legal to use in a clone if needed. The most interesting thing I found was in some of the new engines I bought in that they had really good springs. So because I found the so called clone 10/8 springs in new engines we here in central Pa decided the best way to control the spring problem was to use the clone spring tester. So if you hear someone is running a green stripe or a red spring or a yellow, they don’t have anything better than what might be in the next new engine you purchase. If you can find one!!! One last thing. Some of those colored springs will not pass the clone checker so be careful. Some are to stiff and need work. Now food for thought. Do you really need a strong 10/8 legal spring in an engine that doesn’t turn enough rpm to float the valve?

Thats probably the best solution you could use to keep things level. As you said some were soft some were stiff, this could make the difference between a lemon and not. I have seen weak springs cause engines to lack power and not turn the rpm that they should while never going into float. I am curious as to what rpm you are getting out of them. I rarely see them get close to our max 5500. Usually 4950 to 5250 is what I see.

Back