unrestricted to purple plate on gas, possible?

BHetrick10

I havent raced karts in a long time. We just got my niece a kart to run on out track at the shop. The kart we got her has a flat head that was ran in senior champ. Is it possible to put in a purple plate, or make a smaller plat, change jetting and run it on gas, and let her have some? Or will the timming be way off to switch to a plate on gas?

I also have a bone stock flat head. Could I put a plate on it and change jets and this be a better option?

She is only 4 and will just be making laps at my track not any competitive racing.

Thanks

Put the bone stock one on -- put the plate in it and jet it with a 38 jet for gas. That'll get you in the ballpark and not hurt it.
The unrestricted engine probably doesn't have a whole lot of timing in it anyhow, so if you wanted to run that one, put a plate and jet in it and run it just the same (it would likely have a good/billet rod and bearings in it so there would be some more reliability.)
Another option is to for-go the plate and put a throttle stop on it (only run part throttle) until she gets the hang of it, then slowly keep opening it up as her ability increases.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian gave you good info, the same I would give to a new racer / Dad. I went thru the FH plate classes with 3 sons, and really for what you are doing, what Brian suggested is right on IMO. Use the stocker and put the plate in with the bigger jet and give it a shot. Save the unrestricted FH for a later date? You still may want to put the throttle stop on just to be safe until she gets her feet wet with driving, brake, etc. Hope she has fun !

Dave E.

Thanks Brain.

The bone stock one still has the little factory muffler. Should I put the pipe on in that is currently on the unrestricted motor with 38 jet or leave it completely stock?

change jet to 38 if you want and you know about taking it apart and putting it back together you could pull the flywheel and advance the timing to about 24-25 degrees btdc just cuz your running gas and other then that you should be good for now. id run a throttle stopper for now and scratch the plate and slowly start working it up like Carlson said and then once she get good enough where you don't need the throttle stopper go ahead and swap it out and throw a purple plate in it I did this and it worked out very well jmo though. and if you want to switch to alky change the jet to a 60-62 flush the carb out with wd40 change ting to about 29-30 btdc and you should be fine.

I was planning on plate and throttle stop. She likes to go fast on her 4 wheeler that her dad got her this summer. I think kids a quads is a bad idea she almost roled it already. I put a throttle stop on it also.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help. I wish I still had all my flat head tools. I sold everything when I got out of it. I never really thought about helping family out having fun. Would be a lot easier if she were taller. I got to fab up new throttle and master cylinder mounts to pull everything closer to her. Hope to get it done before the snow flies so she can turn some laps.

If I use the bone stock one I assume I should keep the rev limiter hooked up? It has the throttle and chock levers right on it. Not sure how to hook it up like it would be on a kart and still keep rev limiter working. That being said I could put my tach on it and make sure not to turn it harder than....? I just dont want o put to much of a load on it and brake the rod.

Back