Updating a 2002 Shadow Storm

meracer9

Site Supporter
Looking to update my 2002 Shadow Storm to the heim style front end.. Does anyone have any good used spindles and L blocks to help me out that would fit a storm? I have contacted Sox and they have everything new.. Was just looking to maybe save afew $$$'s. Thanks

That's the one. Should work great for converting any older kart to l block front. Will also need 2 #660033 weld plates as well.

Looks like a lot of work and precise welding.. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and pay the $200 from a Shadow and get what's actually made for the kart!

Looks like a lot of work and precise welding.. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and pay the $200 from a Shadow and get what's actually made for the kart!

It will be the same process no matter where you buy the parts, it will take precise cutting, finding the correct angle's, and precise welding

It will be the same process no matter where you buy the parts, it will take precise cutting, finding the correct angle's, and precise welding

The frame I have already has the flat plate on the frame, it is not the tube type spindle mount.. According to shadow they offer a kit that you just drill the upper mounting hole to 7/16" and bolt on the new heim and L block.. Spindles also come with the kit.. I was just curious if anyone else had anything maybe used or that would work on my shadow chassis. Thanks

Thought that kit was for older pill karts?

When I called Sox racing they offered a kit with heims, L blocks, spindles, and king pins. My shadow has the plate already welded on the frame but is the pill type spindle. Its kind of a weird looking set up and thats why I want to update it to the L block and heim style. It maybe a 2002 chassis but I bet the kart doesnt have 12 races on it!

The pill front end is fine really. If there isn't many races on it I would run it and update when parts need changing. The big issue with the older Shadows is the blocks will bend from normal use. Later models beefed up the blocks. That kart ran really well around here.

I went ahead and got the $185 kit from Sox. Very nice, easy to install kit! No more pills to worry about. Just had to replace the 4 1/2" king pin on the right front with a 5" king pin (7/16 hardened bolt I got from Ace). Had to make the upper holes in the frame mounting plate just a bit bigger to take the heims and just bolt it all together!

I must have gotten lucky. I have a 2001 Shadow that has the heim front end already. Not sure if someone updated or not, as I have had the kart since only 2010. Easy to set-up and won once and numerous top fives with it.

Jackie Rich #31

Back