Updating rear hangers on a older kart

DJ_Shuman62

Has anybody ever tried cutting of the bearing hanger and welding ones on that would take a clam shell style. If so what are the things you need to watch for to make sure it's done right. I assume the biggest concern would be perfect placement so you aren't adding any lead in the kart also to make sure they are square with the frame.

I looked into doing it. IIRC, BMI in Ohio, www.bmikarts.com, has the hangers, or Ward Mfg. It's not the cheapest thing in the world to do, so I left my old style. I don't swap rears very often, so not a big enough issue for me to merit expense.

Jig frame down on very flat metal table
Make jig brackets to hold axle in place at 0 0 location
Cut off old brackets and grind smooth
Put new brackets in place and Mach everything up
Weld new brackets and allow ample cool time in jig.
Re powder coat color of choice.

This process may or may not change how the rear of frame flexes.

I've done this many times, no big deal. Measure, measure, measure! Write all your measurements down, even draw a sketch. Cut a couple pieces of tubing to fit inside the old hangers before you cut them off. These will be used to get your spacing right on the new hangers. Tack weld the new hangers in place and tack the spacer tubes in place. Measure again. DO NOT STICK WELD!! Stick welding is too much heat for the chrome moly tubing. It makes it brittle and it will break, especially in this area where there is a lot of flex going on. The preferred method of welding would be TIG welding. You can use a MIG, but if you do, I would pulse weld it, or "stitch" weld as some folks say. DOn't weld one side all at once. Move from side to side so as to not build up so much heat in one place. It actually sounds harder than it is. Good luck.

As a welder for some 25 years, and a builder of karts, I know it's not all that hard to do what you want, if you know what you're doing.

Thing is, you need a fixture to hold everything in place. If the parts are not held securely in place, when welding, things tend to move around. You need a welder, tig or mig, both are suitable for the task. If you are a good welder, give it a try.

My best advice would be to fined a close by kart builder and let him do it.

Thanks for the help guys. I have access to a professional welder that welds on supermodifieds typically. So the welding would not be an issue. Sounds like I may need to make a jig and some kind of set up for the spacing.

Thanks for the help guys. I have access to a professional welder that welds on supermodifieds typically. So the welding would not be an issue. Sounds like I may need to make a jig and some kind of set up for the spacing.

I really don't think you need a Jig as per say, but, like I said..measure, measure, measure! Triangle magnets will hold everything in place, and if you tack it properly, you will have no problem. As I said, I have done many of these, and been a welder and fabricator for 40+ years.
If you have access to a professional welder, then I would go for it, he'll know what to do. Good Luck!

bmi carries most of the pmi products but about 1/2 the price. but I dont recall them having the clam shell setups

Ward Karting also sells weld-on pieces, you will have to use there clamshells also, which is a good thing they have the best on the market IMO, and the little fact that Mike Ward invented clamshells.

Ward Karting also sells weld-on pieces, you will have to use there clamshells also, which is a good thing they have the best on the market IMO, and the little fact that Mike Ward invented clamshells.
We have not had very good luck buying from Ward Karting . Their web site has problems doing orders and they are sold out on a lot of items they make. At present time if they are out of any items that they manufacture you will have to wait until later in Jan. or longer, maybe Feb.
LOU

We have not had very good luck buying from Ward Karting . Their web site has problems doing orders and they are sold out on a lot of items they make. At present time if they are out of any items that they manufacture you will have to wait until later in Jan. or longer, maybe Feb.
LOU
The op is talking about one kart?
What problem with the store? I will pass it along to see that its fixed, Vince at VBO doesnt like bugs
And with the addition of all the new equipment thats been added the parts just may be in stock

Its a lot of work and money and most likely won't make any more speed. I'd put that money toward a newer kart.

If you are set on doing it, start by clamping it on a flat metal table. Putting 1/8" strips under the frame where you clamp wouldn't be a bad idea as the frame won't sit flat due to the welds. Then measure where the old cassettes are located. The axle may not be square to the frame rails. Then, cut the old off. After grinding the tubes smooth, locate the new brackets and use a square to make sure they are 90deg to the table. Then they are ready for weld. A normal MIG will work fine.

Of course, I'm partial to the PMI stuff. The older style clamshells that were on the Reactor work well and are the most inexpensive. If you want LR height adjustment, going to have to go Axiom style.

Back