Used bolts and hardware

atwoodracing20

Dew Dawg
Been a mechanic for many many years, and have accumulated lots of good used nuts, bolts washers etc. Hate to throw them out, cause you never know when you may need something, but my question is, what do you do with all this stuff?

Happens all the time . ;)
I blame my dad .
I got his tool chest , its got bolts from 1964 !
Hardware's only 10 Blocks away .

I have coffee cans and boxes and do somewhat keep bolts, nuts, washers, and such separated. Oddball stuff gets thrown in yet another container. If I need something weird I generally remember if I might have it. My problem is need a few of something and coming up one short of what I need. I am pretty good about keeping metric and SAE things seperate.

Keep the inch bolts somewhat separate.
Can't make myself create a metric bolt bin.

Thank you Jimmy Carter.

I had a buddy with OCD who used to sort everything. Now I just throw used nuts and bolts away. My time is too sparce and valuable to deal with sorting it and i'm not going to put a used bolt on my karts anyway.

I had a buddy with OCD who used to sort everything. Now I just throw used nuts and bolts away. My time is too sparce and valuable to deal with sorting it and i'm not going to put a used bolt on my karts anyway.
When the majority of mine are Toyota and Cummins, better keep them, some you just can't run out and buy.

On jet skis we bag and tag all the bolts and separate them by engine, pump, or hull basically. Then if we lose a bolt, we can go into the filling cabinet, find a bag by the brand, and then which category. Usually easy to find once you find the right bag. We also sell the bags often, for the more rare stuff. Jet skis are all stainless hardware so we have a random bin we plan to scrap someday. Weighs a few hundred pounds rn.

Sort into nuts, bolts, washer. Then into size range, big, medium, small. Some time spent sorting that way but not so much i feel like i spent a whole day sorting or looking. More and more i just go get a new one from the drawer, if i don't have one then i will look for a used one.

5 gallon pail .
I'm not ocd enough to sort and
Separate them.
Makes a great project for the kids/grandkids and teaches them math/fractions and life skills.
Pick up a couple cheap plastic organizers from China to store them all in.
When you need a specific size, you'll have a young helper in the garage eager to get the exact bolt/nut that you need.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com