Used kart prices

krtrcn

I know the cost of karting has gone up, just like everything else, but I don't understand the prices of used karts.
I can look on Facebook and be amazed of the prices of used chassis. I see 16 year old karts going for 1200- 1500$. You can imagine the horrible shape that most or in, floor pans look like they've been shot with buckshot, rust everywhere.
Before I get bashed, a lot of races use older chassis, but like us they're maintained and don't look like a rust bucket.
I know a new chassis isn't cheap, and a lot people buy used chassis, like myself. I just wish that the people selling a used older chassis would put a realistic price on them, and quit having Biden economics.

Yeah, alot of junk on the Fbook stuff. I still run a used 09 Bad Max chassis I bought back in 2015 and a Brand New Bad Max 2011 chassis I bought off the wall at BMI in 2017.. It had been on display as a Bare Frame and I bought it in 2017 and put every part on it brand new. Win at least 2 race or more per year on that kart. Just For Fun..

I know the cost of karting has gone up, just like everything else, but I don't understand the prices of used karts.
I can look on Facebook and be amazed of the prices of used chassis. I see 16 year old karts going for 1200- 1500$. You can imagine the horrible shape that most or in, floor pans look like they've been shot with buckshot, rust everywhere.
Before I get bashed, a lot of races use older chassis, but like us they're maintained and don't look like a rust bucket.
I know a new chassis isn't cheap, and a lot people buy used chassis, like myself. I just wish that the people selling a used older chassis would put a realistic price on them, and quit having Biden economics.
It's all about what you can find... bought this 05' unicorn chassis from a friend (used to get my a** kicked by him in the 90's with em') paid him a grand for it because it is one of the last one's built... Ain't beat him yet, but was on his bumper for 2nd, while he's on his 2013 Triton he upgraded to... So keep lookin, you'll find a deal

Attachments

• IMG_20220609_213738.jpg
    IMG_20220609_213738.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220409_173513.jpg
    IMG_20220409_173513.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 27
Supply and demand, disposable/discretionary income, inflation, and quality and condition all play a roll in asking price. You are right though, people are looking for top dollar for their junk. I think what we are seeing now is people who bought in high when the free government bucks were flowing are now trying to sell off at what they paid for. Once the used kart market hits it's equilibrium or supply is greater than demand prices should hopefully normalize. Might even be some deals to be had.

Supply and demand, disposable/discretionary income, inflation, and quality and condition all play a roll in asking price. You are right though, people are looking for top dollar for their junk. I think what we are seeing now is people who bought in high when the free government bucks were flowing are now trying to sell off at what they paid for. Once the used kart market hits it's equilibrium or supply is greater than demand prices should hopefully normalize. Might even be some deals to be had.
Exactly.
When covid hit, big car guys had no place to run their cars, so they built backyard tracks and bought up every used kart out there.
We can't keep a used oval kart in our shop for more than a week. It's to the point that I don't even try to buy them anymore - just point people to the occasional good buys. Most everything is bringing top dollar still. That will change though. As more racers are letting me know on almost a daily basis that they are cutting (or planning on cutting) their summer/fall race schedules. When the economy dumps (and it will) people will be selling out left and right, and the market for used karts will drop dramatically as they flood the market with much better/newer chassis. Just like the housing market -- it's a seller's market currently, but it will change soon enough and hopefully normalize again.

With that said, I'm afraid that the prices we're seeing for new parts (especially tires) may not ever go back down.
We're currently $100 more for a set of cut tires than we were 2 years ago. Burris and Hoosier saw fairly substantial increases (higher than I can ever remember.) Wheel prices went up. Prep prices (event he cans) went up. Briggs prices went up. Almost all of the import stuff from China went up. While used stuff may come back down to more realistic prices, I seriously doubt that any of the new prices will go down.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Exactly.
When covid hit, big car guys had no place to run their cars, so they built backyard tracks and bought up every used kart out there.
We can't keep a used oval kart in our shop for more than a week. It's to the point that I don't even try to buy them anymore - just point people to the occasional good buys. Most everything is bringing top dollar still. That will change though. As more racers are letting me know on almost a daily basis that they are cutting (or planning on cutting) their summer/fall race schedules. When the economy dumps (and it will) people will be selling out left and right, and the market for used karts will drop dramatically as they flood the market with much better/newer chassis. Just like the housing market -- it's a seller's market currently, but it will change soon enough and hopefully normalize again.

With that said, I'm afraid that the prices we're seeing for new parts (especially tires) may not ever go back down.
We're currently $100 more for a set of cut tires than we were 2 years ago. Burris and Hoosier saw fairly substantial increases (higher than I can ever remember.) Wheel prices went up. Prep prices (event he cans) went up. Briggs prices went up. Almost all of the import stuff from China went up. While used stuff may come back down to more realistic prices, I seriously doubt that any of the new prices will go down.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
If anything, its going to do the opposite and keep the used prices up (which i like).

I'm getting higher amounts for used equipment then I ever have. Partially because the cost of new, mostly because the lack of supply, neither of which are going to get better anytime soon

If anything, its going to do the opposite and keep the used prices up (which i like).

I'm getting higher amounts for used equipment then I ever have. Partially because the cost of new, mostly because the lack of supply, neither of which are going to get better anytime soon
Ummm... that's what I said (or at least tried to convey,) JP. :)
Guys might be cutting back on their schedules, but I don't see many people doing sell-outs just yet. Demand for used stuff is high but supply is low -- that's kept the prices of used stuff high for now. Keep in mind that you (and I) are also paying more for used parts too, including Bully clutches. 2 years ago we bought them for $100 or less. Today you don't find an old haggard out Bully for that. That price increase has to be passed on to the next guy, thus the increased prices of used parts in karting.

Back