using a hot box to size tires

bizz2222

I have another post here on advantages of a hot box now I guess my question is what is the right way to size tires with a hot box ? I hate to be a pain we have raced for 5 years or so now were moving up in classes so trying to learn all I can about tires being its very important, just like doing internal prep in a hot box I could use help with all this. we only run burris tires to. Thanks everyone

First your gonna get different opinions, But If your asking because your convinced it's a must to have a hot box to size tires properly, or roll internal prep properly someone has misinformed you, All the hot box does to size tires is heat it up making it little easier to grow or shrink, The only part of a hot box needed for internal prep is the fact that you can roll them which is a must for internal prep, but it's NOT a must to roll with heat all that's doing is making the tire take in the prep quicker, which in MOST cases is a bad thing, a tire roller is much cheaper than a hot box for rolling.
If you were to size them with a hot box it would depend on if you were needing to shrink or grow the tire, to grow them it's different for each tire with the LF being hardest to grow and hold, the LR is the easiest to grow and hold, the right sides somewhere in between, a right side if you get it to around 110* pump it up to 1/2" bigger than needed let it set like 3 hrs cooling then check it will usually be close, however some tires are just harder to grow than others, to shrink you heat it up with very little air pull valve core put it in a freezer for an hr, replace core air it up you will gain an 1/8 " or sometimes more.
For Internal with heat on would be mostly if your pressed for proper time to roll or while at the track need to get a set down quicker.

For Internal with heat on would be mostly if your pressed for proper time to roll or while at the track need to get a set down quicker.

That would be one reason, but would also be assuming that you keep your shop/garage heated to 70* or so 24/7. Remember, most internal preps require 24 hours of roll time. Personally, I let the heat in our shop drop to 55 at night. I can guarantee you that at 55* it will take considerably longer for internal preps to be completely taken up than at 70-90.* For that reason alone, I internal prep all of our stuff in a hot box at 70.* I think another advantage is having a lid on the box (covering the rollers) helps to keep some prep from evaporating as quickly (yes, internal too.) And for that reason, the smaller the box, the better.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Ken and Brian, Thanks for the help ken you know where my grandson races he is moving up again this year Im just trying to learn all I can I need a tire guy to show me the ropes lol everyone seam to do everything different I have a hotbox and a tire roller and I just wanted to know how to use them both I have never even done any inside tire prep do you use the same prep used on the outside of the tire ? or buy special prep ? I think im learning a lot about tires but I need all the help I can get we run mostly 11s and 22s and im thinking if I get 33s and 55s down on the duro to what the 22s are punching we should be faster is this right ? Thanks again

Some preps can be used internally and externally, but check with your prep manufacturer (or dealer) before doing so. Some do not work well inside. Our prep program is pretty simple: One product for internal - can also be used externally Pink Panther), one product that softens and adds a ton of bite (Monster Bite), and one product that adds bite but does not soften (Black Bite 2.0.)
Those three will cover 95% of the track conditions you'd see.

33's prepped down are generally faster than 22s, especially on larger tracks, but I know there are tracks back in your part of the country in which 22s are the best choice (Ken's track may well be one of those because of the size, moisture, and soft surface.)
Personally, we have eliminated all of our "in between" compounds (22s & 44s) from our team's inventory. If it's a slop-hole, then we've got 11s available. We've got 20-25 sets of 33's cut & prepped all over the spectrum that we use the majority of the time for Burris spec tire races, and a couple sets of B55s (just in case.) Where we race locally on Burris, I could tell you within a set or two what we'll be on in any given class each night. When we travel, our trailer cannot hold enough tire choices. One thing I have learned about bigger $races/tours/series/etc. using a spec tire (Burris), is that you never have enough tires worked and with you at the track. For weekend racing where you run the same track, same class, etc every week (and the promoter works the track consistently without throwing the occasional curve ball ie calcium, water truck broke down excuse, etc.) you really don't need a large inventory of tires (spec or otherwise) since you know what you'll need. At least with our preps, if you need more bite, you wipe more coats...if you need less bite, you wipe less....doesn't get much simpler than that.

Ken and Brian, Thanks for the help ken you know where my grandson races he is moving up again this year Im just trying to learn all I can I need a tire guy to show me the ropes lol everyone seam to do everything different I have a hotbox and a tire roller and I just wanted to know how to use them both I have never even done any inside tire prep do you use the same prep used on the outside of the tire ? or buy special prep ? I think im learning a lot about tires but I need all the help I can get we run mostly 11s and 22s and im thinking if I get 33s and 55s down on the duro to what the 22s are punching we should be faster is this right ? Thanks again

Flip Flop or Liquid Speed both work well at PCRP, Flip Flop has an inside prep, LS there IF you would use inside it would be LS 1, as Brian mentions some preps can be used for both you need to confirm, post what prep your using, For PCRP the only compound you would Internal is the 55's 120 cc, you can take 22's out of your program ( YES I know a lot of races are won there on 22's but only because either no one in the class that knew what to do with the 11's or 33's or they were there and just missed it ) and simplify it for PCRP, If you could have Softer set ( mid to higher 20's ) of 11's wiped pretty hard with a Medium prep for those few real moist night's especially if the get rain leading into the night or a rain delay, A newer set of 11's wiped with Medium prep only before going out for later in night's when moisture stays in track, ANY time it is Moist cap off with CREO, then 33's wiped with some aggressive NOT always just get some on them, then use the Medium prep, then a set of 33's that you only wipe Medium before the race, then the one set of 55's with the Internal that you will wipe according to track condition, ALL round cuts. With those 5 set's 80 % of the time you will only need a Medium prep for PCRP just IF moist cap off with creo, keep an aggressive prep in the trailer for when you need the added Bite. NO you will NOT be faster by just using your thinking of prepping down 33's & 55's to what 22's punch, in fact DON"T get hung up on durometer readings it's more about proper prep, proper amount, applied proper meaning with heat if needed or wiped cold than a MAGIC duro number, because there is no magic number.
Keep my number 717-712-3437 If your gonna work on tires and are not sure call me I'll help talk ya through it.

Good Luck !!

Sorry to bring up an old post but has anybody heard of Haskins Performance Products?, it's out of Williamston, SC, he stated to prep with his light prep all week and use his medium prep if the track has moisture. I wiped 3 times Friday and used a heat gun on two wipes to dry the prep in and air dried the 3rd coat. Worked great just using his medium prep but 15 laps it seems like the juice left the tires, should I prep more?

Sorry to bring up an old post but has anybody heard of Haskins Performance Products?, it's out of Williamston, SC, he stated to prep with his light prep all week and use his medium prep if the track has moisture. I wiped 3 times Friday and used a heat gun on two wipes to dry the prep in and air dried the 3rd coat. Worked great just using his medium prep but 15 laps it seems like the juice left the tires, should I prep more?
What brand tires, if Burris which compound

Back