Using baby shampoo to wash dirt track tires

I'm a bit biased, as Chris is...I prefer our Green Apple Tire Cleaner. Well, at least my wife does. :)
...but of course, I'm selling something. :D
Baby shampoo will certainly work though.

Simple Green makes your tires "feel" good because it pulls oil to the surface (as does any stringent degreaser.)
For that reason, some use it as a PRW or at tracks where prepping is not allowed.
I love Simple Green for cleaning air filters and general degreasing. It is not what we use (or recommend) for cleaning tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

can someone give me advise on air pressures for kids pred?
Does your Kids Predator (I'm sorry, but that's a terrible name for the class) have a fixed gear rule and a max tire size?
Make sure you are right at that max tire size if so, then run as high of pressure as your driver can handle.
Higher psi creates less rolling resistance and better roll speed. As long as you don't lose too much grip in the corners, keep going up on air and add bite back in the tires with a good bite chemical.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

can someone give me advise on air pressures for kids pred?
My kids are in a very restricted class- 34.5 max tire diameter, no tire prep, 4.5 gearing, 3800 max rpm, bone stock 212. We are on a large dry track where the kids never lift till the end of the race. I want their tires to be around 10 psi, usually end up close to 14, but I've pumped them up over 25 trying to get every mm of tire diameter. Like Carlson said- less rolling resistance without hurting traction = faster

My kids are in a very restricted class- 34.5 max tire diameter, no tire prep, 4.5 gearing, 3800 max rpm, bone stock 212. We are on a large dry track where the kids never lift till the end of the race. I want their tires to be around 10 psi, usually end up close to 14, but I've pumped them up over 25 trying to get every mm of tire diameter. Like Carlson said- less rolling resistance without hurting traction = faster
Stretch your tires to 34.5 beforehand so they are not out there bouncing around with 25# of air in them.

Stretch your tires to 34.5 beforehand so they are not out there bouncing around with 25# of air in them.
Live & learn. Last year was my introduction to karting. This year I'm stretching / shrinking tires, trying different wheel widths, playing with clutch springs, adjusting cross...learning as I go
I'm pretty proud to get a left rear vega to stretch to 34.25 on a 8.5 wheel. That's taken some effort

Live & learn. Last year was my introduction to karting. This year I'm stretching / shrinking tires, trying different wheel widths, playing with clutch springs, adjusting cross...learning as I go
I'm pretty proud to get a left rear vega to stretch to 34.25 on a 8.5 wheel. That's taken some effort
Just because your stagger changes to what you need on a different width of wheel doesn't mean that is a good play. Changing stagger by using different size wheels affects a lot more than staggering a tire on the wheel you scaled with. It affects a lot. There are some good threads on here about sizing tires. Check that out they will be a big help. Also, this may sound dumb but you say you are adjusting cross...the biggest thing you need to know is why you are changing it. Like what is the reason you are changing it and how do you know you need to put more cross in the kart or take some out. You need to know the cause and effect of every change you are doing and know in your head why you are changing it.

Why would you stretch the left rear to 34.25 ? I would think you’d want more than a 1/4” of stagger if your right rear is 34.5. I wouldn’t be using different wheel widths either. 10” rights 6.5 LF, 8.5 LR.
Vegas are pretty easy to stretch, some air and some heat. If you help shoot me a PM.

Why would you stretch the left rear to 34.25 ? I would think you’d want more than a 1/4” of stagger if your right rear is 34.5. I wouldn’t be using different wheel widths either. 10” rights 6.5 LF, 8.5 LF.
Vegas are pretty easy to stretch, some air and some heat. If you help shoot me a PM.
a lot of top tire people tell me to keep my tires at 34.5 when not racing to maintain 34 circumference. Burris tires on 10" rims shrink when left deflated for periods of time. same is true for some LRs i stretch them but they don't stay stretched. gotta keep after them tires

Why would you stretch the left rear to 34.25 ? I would think you’d want more than a 1/4” of stagger if your right rear is 34.5. I wouldn’t be using different wheel widths either. 10” rights 6.5 LF, 8.5 LF.
The reasoning is due to the needs. A low speed, low horsepower class doesn't need the stagger to turn & doesn't need 10" tires for traction. It needs every bit of resistance to be eliminated & needs every mm of tire circumference for speed.
The first inch of stretching went easily. That last half inch has been a pain but I'm getting it

The reasoning is due to the needs. A low speed, low horsepower class doesn't need the stagger to turn & doesn't need 10" tires for traction. It needs every bit of resistance to be eliminated & needs every mm of tire circumference for speed.
The first inch of stretching went easily. That last half inch has been a pain but I'm getting it
This is how people have been setting up chassis and tires for a while. Get with someone on here or someone at your track they will get you on the right track. I think the way you are doing your tires may be hurting your performance.

This is how people have been setting up chassis and tires for a while. Get with someone on here or someone at your track they will get you on the right track. I think the way you are doing your tires may be hurting your performance.
In faster classes I would agree with you. A lot of guys in our local clone class told me that my ideas won't work too but out of 7 karts, my 5 & 7 year old are 1st 2nd or 3rd every time. This is a very restricted, low speed, low hp class so the basics are a little different than most other classes.
It's also a large track with wide turns & long straights. A large stagger would create a friction on the straights while helping some in the corners

a lot of top tire people tell me to keep my tires at 34.5 when not racing to maintain 34 circumference. Burris tires on 10" rims shrink when left deflated for periods of time. same is true for some LRs i stretch them but they don't stay stretched. gotta keep after them tires
I’m not talking about Burris, the poster clearly said Vega. A heat cycle through a Vega and they hold size.

If it’s working for you keep doing it. Are you using the 8.5 wheels on the right side ? We used to use 7.5” on the RF when the kids ran purple plate FH on indoor syrup, so I know what your getting at.

I'd like to run 7.5 on the rears, or all the way around, but currently only have access to a 10" for the rr & 8.5 on LR & rf. If I had access to wheels & tires I'd keep experimenting with narrower wheels & tires until the karts get loose then back off some. Hopefully the wheel & tire supply will return before they get into a faster class

Back