Using Clutch Spring Height Gauge

race760

Can someone provide a brief explanation on how to utilize a clutch spring height tool?

From my understanding it can be used in 2 ways:
1) Measure the baseline height of springs after a rebuild & check routinely to ensure no movement
2) Use to track changes on engagement settings on the clutch to avoid guesswork and ensure consistency

Thanks

I just use a steel ruler graduated in hundredths and a magnifier glass to set the start height recommended by the factory. Then go by the number of turns in or out you have to use to set the stall speed. Once you get it right measure again and take note. Check it before the feature if you think you need to.

Sundog

Can someone provide a brief explanation on how to utilize a clutch spring height tool?

From my understanding it can be used in 2 ways:
1) Measure the baseline height of springs after a rebuild & check routinely to ensure no movement
2) Use to track changes on engagement settings on the clutch to avoid guesswork and ensure consistency

Thanks
Both scenarios are correct . How you zero it is important .
The basic is put it over the spring and read the number .
Using it as a comparison tool vs as a direct spring height requires zeroing it properly .
As Sundog , at the track I simply used quarter turn , half turn or whole turn . Then evened them out at the house .
I believe there is an setting tool /peice for zeroing .
Alternatively set it on a flat surface and set zero . You will be off the thickness of the flat part of the adjusting nut .

On page 2 there is a small discussion about it .

Last edited:
I always had good luck doing it as sundog describes, except I used the depth gage feature on my calipers. Just another approach to think about, depending on what tools you have available.

Another thing to consider is that if you've ever thrown a chain, or there are any knicks in the actuator lever plate (aluminum,) The the spring height gauge will not sit flat on the actuator lever plate and the result will be an incorrect measurement. Another issue can be if the spring lands on the adjuster nuts are not the exact same thickness. I've seen where some folks have replaced the adjuster nut on a Bully clutch, and the spring land was thinner, or thicker, than the others. (.040" vs. .060" I think.) That .020" difference in spring height will hurt your clutch in fairly short order. Be sure to check that thickness before installing the adjuster nuts and taking measurements with your clutch tool.
Also be sure that the tool sits completely flat on the activator lever plate. Aside from the usual knicks, bolts, buts, brass weights, can get in the way and provide an incorrect measurement.

A pair of calipers can be used to measure between the top of the activator plate and the underside of the adjuster nut spring land (the correct method that Bully shows in all of their diagrams.) You will have to time the spring end so that there is a gap at 11 o'clock (my preference) so that you can measure the springs this way. Simply hold the spring in position as you adjust the nut down and measure as you go.

Then if you want to use your fancy dancy clutch spring tool, have at it...just keep in mind the difference in adjuster nut spring land (or flange) thicknesses.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Attachments