Using half a sprocket guard

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

I read somewhere that just using 1/2 the sprocket guard (for sprint) - the left side - will actually keep the chain on fine. I have not tried this - I don't want to throw a chain if it does not work. Just curious if anyone does this and how it works. The idea would be to get a little more room to possibly run the clutch inboard for an LO206.

The sprocket mounted on the left ? Depending on the hub you may gain a little though the hub is typically the widest peice .
Mounting the sprocket on the right the bolts become a problem .
Spacing the clutch out 1/4 inch might be an option .
A chain guide would help with chain issues .
You seem too be on top of maintenance so you may be okay .

I read somewhere that just using 1/2 the sprocket guard (for sprint) - the left side - will actually keep the chain on fine. I have not tried this - I don't want to throw a chain if it does not work. Just curious if anyone does this and how it works. The idea would be to get a little more room to possibly run the clutch inboard for an LO206.

We ran them that way for a few years before we started spacing out a second guard to run on the other side of the chain. Then the manufacturers caught on and started offering sprocket guards that covered both sides with built in spacers for the one half. I don't see much to gain by running only one half, personally. A little weight loss, sure, but the peace of mind of one less DNF would be worth it for me to run both halves today.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We ran them that way for a few years before we started spacing out a second guard to run on the other side of the chain. Then the manufacturers caught on and started offering sprocket guards that covered both sides with built in spacers for the one half. I don't see much to gain by running only one half, personally. A little weight loss, sure, but the peace of mind of one less DNF would be worth it for me to run both halves today.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Yeah - you can't win or podium if you don't finish. It would be mostly for clearance if we wanted to run inboard clutch, but we ran way outboard last time and we were pretty fast doing that. The engine was offset so much it was practically in another zip code and it was fine.

We ran a sprocket guard when we started racing.
It never saved us a chain coming off.
Quit using the sprocket guard and still never had
a chain come off until I changed chain brands. Lost
one chain each on two different brands others told
me were the best chains in the world. Went back to
RLV.

Funny if you read the Description (Sprocket Guard) . It says nothing about keeping the chain on . Now you mention it cheep chain was when we had issues as well .

We run some pretty big rear gears at the bull rings around here. I run one on the opposite side the gears go on to keep it from banging the track or rocks in pits. We have one place that has some small boulders in the pits

When we ran 35 chain we never had issues. With 219 we'd lose chains on tight corners - with the sprocket guard we have not lost a chain. It's actually a pain to get the chain off to change gears now.

Back