Using ice in drag racing???

Colder fuel equals more dense fuel.
Cool cans been around a long time.
It is not actually in the fuel.

Flattop1 is correct. The cool can is just that. A can that the fuel line is looped through. The ice cools it, making it denser. Denser fuel puts more fuel to the carb. When I drag raced a looong time ago, we would use dry ice and alcohol to make it colder than plain ice.

Flattop1 is correct. The cool can is just that. A can that the fuel line is looped through. The ice cools it, making it denser. Denser fuel puts more fuel to the carb. When I drag raced a looong time ago, we would use dry ice and alcohol to make it colder than plain ice.

That's what I suspected. So do they keep the nitro bottles in ice before running? I heard one of them say hurry up my bottles getting warm.

That's what I suspected. So do they keep the nitro bottles in ice before running? I heard one of them say hurry up my bottles getting warm.

Need to warm bottles to increase pressures as much as possible to get most nitrous to sprayer.

I'm not convinced only the fuel is being cooled. A supercooled intercooler adds even more power. I'm sure the red camaro is using dry ice by the vapor coming off the rear.

For even colder fuel, I've been dreaming of putting dry ice directly into fuel cell, since no cool cans are allowed. Not sure if vent can handle volume of CO2 boiling off.

Ya it's pretty trick I was at the drags the first time I saw a fuel cooler... Almost looked like a coffee can with a coil in it... Guy was using dry ice and water... Said he gained like 4tenths on a hot day

AS stated, that not the fuel ,its the air they are cooling.

That's the air out of the turbo, to the cooler back to the intake.
And No having it in the trunk is done successfully although most have it were the right seat should be in these street cars LOL

On a side note If your picking up .4 from cooling fuel you have some serious issues.
Fuel is cooled for consistency more the HP although it does help but not no .4 Well I guess maybe on a 18 second ride it might.

Watched a rerun of the show.
It was very likely in the right passenger seat.
With turbos at rear of engine it would be a natural fit.

Most have been mounting turbos at the front for street and drag racing for awhile now Flattop...gets the turbo out front of the engine so incoming air is directed strait into the inlet for the turbo, usually with just a tho screen over it and no filter. Most of the twin turbo drag cars I've seen were set up this way, with turbos placed where headlights normally would be, or directly in the grille with a cutout.

Yup. About everyone now has switched to alky for fuel, the days of VP c16 and q16 are gone. Just not cost effective. We ran an air to water on our mustang back in the 2000. The intercooler was welded to the aluminum Kirkey pass seat and the well tank in the rear cooled it. The alky keeps the motor cool but all that boost puts the air inlet temps through the roof.

Back