Using laser for uneven spindles

Tulsakevin

Site Supporter
I have had to move my front right spindle up and bend the frame to finally get a balance cross weight. I recently bought the viper laser system to set toe and camber. Can I use it with uneven spindle height. Thank you for your input. Hopefully I can still use it since they are very pricey.

Never seen it but most spindles are uneven .
I wouldn't see any reason it be any different then other systems.

Wait you bought a pricey laser system for a junk chassis?

Wow, appreciate your insight, it is a 2018 birelart r30 chassis. Apparently you know nothing about scaling a kart. With 3440 posts, I would assume you are not as ignorant as your reply would suggest, though I bet I am right.

I feel much more confident in my knowledge, only starting karting 2 months ago. So thank you for that

I'm with Flattop never seen what your using, but cannot imagine not being able to use it with uneven spindle height.

That's just Jamie being Jamie he's like me at times comes across wrong because he can be to direct for most, his comment about being Junk was only because you needed to bend it to set it, not the fact of year, make, or model.
Actually if you can get past what you took as an insult and have a conversation he can give you better Info on what your dealing with than 95 % of the people on here on this topic.

Good Luck !! hope you get it figured out.

I'm assuming your laser alignment device shines form one side of the kart to the other.
With the wheels removed it is mounted on one spindle that is at one angle to the opposite spindle that is at a different angle.
So ask yourself if that will that give your readings that are correct?
I believe the most accurate way to measure camber is to have the kart on a level surface (scale stand) and use an accurate angle gage on each spindle.
It has been done this way for decades in the automotive world using a bubble gauge and lately with digital angle gauges.
Doing it with spindle extensions and having the driver in the kart with the wheels on the scale pads is about as close to on the track as it gets.

Good point .
I was wondering how a laser would set camber.
If it was shooting a level line and you had some type of gauge or protractor mounted on the spindle you could get a reading of some sort.

Like I said, if you had to bend the chassis to get it to spec, chassis was bent to begin with, and if you just bent it to get numbers correct then I'm not impressed with you setup skills.
Many of those Italian chassis, are throw away chassis

I assume you are using a Sniper Laser type system that shoots across the front of the kart I was told by a Margay setup guy to set the lasers in the same location side to side, even if the spindle heights are different. I personally do this on my Margay and Sprint enduro karts that both have un equal spindle heights.

You can then set the kart on the ground and check with the sniper or a bubble gauge or whatever device like mentioned earlier to double check.

I dont have a sniper system just an old school bubble (digital) castor camber gauge. Someone was showing me the laser system to set toe and its pretty straight forward but could not explain how to read individual camber with it . Will that sniper work for camber?

Good point .
I was wondering how a laser would set camber.
If it was shooting a level line and you had some type of gauge or protractor mounted on the spindle you could get a reading of some sort.

You must have to put one of the cards/lasers on the frame to read camber theres no way to leave both sides on the spindle that need to be moved.

Back