Using raptor block for wka 14.5 open build

I'd say if your class is limited to an old fashioned stock Briggs flat head block, yes.
Then everyone is on the same level playing field.
If you allow any engine as long as it's 14.5 CID then the flat heads are at a distinct disadvantage in the HP dept.
An OHV has the potential to make way more HP than a flat head.
If you allow any engine such as billet blocks then it gets even more impossible to make that kind of HP with a flat head.
If you limit the displacement to 14.5 CID then a Briggs Animal block will have the best life expectancy.

Cast aluminum only and no ohv. It would be for the big o race. Also if not worth it for open what about a limited modified, however they allow animals but you get a 30 to 35 # weight break using the flathead? I have a couple stock Raptors trying to decide what to do with them.

Ohv limiteds are not allowed In the Big O open race. Only flathead briggs limiteds getting a weight brake. The briggs engine can be built to compete but the blocks are not durable at all. Keith Stanfield had a good running briggs open that broke completely in half . I personally like the BZ blocks. I can say from experience, they will get the job done

I just re read this. I know they don't allow animals in the big o. I should have clarified. What I was asking is if the raptor isn't suitable for open building, is it suitable to build a limited modified to run in a limited modified class that allows animals to run as long as they add 30 to 35 pounds( animal limited 410 fh limited 375 ) would the fh be competitive with that set of rules ?

You'd do much better with the Blockzilla block in the cast 14.5 opens class against other flatheads.

If you are allowed to run the animal in the limited class, I'd have an animal.
Depending on the track configuration/size if the flathead would have enough weight break @ 35# or not. Doubtful though.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I use to run opens before the Blockzilla. I would put long studs down through the head bolts and through the fins, then pack a product called HardBlock through the fins and around the studs. It greatly increases the life expectancy but you can still blow the cylinder off it. That's why I run 2 strokes now.

Back