Valve guide reamer

MSC Industrial supply co.
(MSC.com)

Industrial Tool Supply
These two places have them. Much more economical to purchase a small set than singly.

You didn't say so, but I'd warn you AGAINST attempting to ream out 1/2 a millimeter.
These are very fragile tools, and the jump from 5 to 5.5mm is a tool breaker, for sure.
No need to ask how I know this. ;)

.020" in steel, is a lot for that small reamer to take out as has been said. You might try drilling it 1st, undersize, then finish it with the reamer.

I reamed out a set of 5mm with a 5.5mm Honda reamer I bought from NR. Worked like a charm.

Were you reaming bronze guides? Do you know what material the clone guides are made of? Asking because I'm trying to ream a stock RT-8 from 5 to 5.5.

.5mm is generally not a reamers job. The guides are soft, most likely an alloy with high bronze content. I would bore them first then ream.

I just swap the guides... you need to make sure the valve seats good afterward, but you have to when reaming the guide as well.

Thanks. How have you found the Rt-8 compared to the hemi? I am trying to decide between putting this head or a hemi both with 28.5 intake 25 ex. Mild porting three angle valve seats and 36 lb springs and 308 cam. Hemi head or Rt-8?

Thanks. How have you found the Rt-8 compared to the hemi? I am trying to decide between putting this head or a hemi both with 28.5 intake 25 ex. Mild porting three angle valve seats and 36 lb springs and 308 cam. Hemi head or Rt-8?

Hemi is easier to get higher flow from, but harder to get the chamber cc's down.. most builds will need valve reliefs cut in the piston.

My favorite saying; compression IS THE HOLY GRAIL. So even though the hemi head might have better flow, if you can't get the compression, it has to be a trade-off.

I definitely see a market for pistons with valve reliefs cut in them. I'm surprised nobody has come out with them already.

Back