Valve guides in lifter bore

jhucks03

How is the best way to remove guides from the lifter bore? Need to replace them because lifters are starting to rock.

Thanks

If you have the tool to install the new ones, when installing the new guide use the new guide to push the old guide up out

I wouldn't do it that way Josh.
Too much chance of damaging/mushrooming the new guide going in.

You can use the same tool, but make up a steel driver with a step built into it (same as installing the valve guides) and pull the lifter guide out with the tool rather than the new guide.
I also like to taper the new guide just a hair on the end so that it starts into the bore nice and square.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

10-4. I'll chuck something up in the lathe. I used 1/4" threaded rod and pulled these up from the bottom. Just regular .283 guides. Ones starting to walk out. Both lifters have play front to back. Not trying to throw a lifter out.

I like to use the EZ-Bore guides that are slightly stepped so no grinding or tapering is needed, they always go in straight & true

EZ bore use to sell a tool just for pulling up valve guides into the lifter bore and a tap , bolt and tool for removal .That was in the flathead days most of their on line catalog is clone stuff now. I use the short stock thin bronze guides in the lifter bore to start , then if needed later or if making a repair because of worn or a broken lifter or what ever happened that elongated your original bore you can step up to the thicker O.D. guides , the tapered guides work in the lifter bore just have machine/cut/grind/face the excess of the guide after the install when using the longer ones .

Back