Valve holder tool that goes in the spark plug hole

Eric85629

Our tech guy had a tool to hold the valve in place while the springs are removed. It screws into the spark plug hole. I've googled and ebayed every phrase I can think of and checked a few kart parts sites but can't find one. Anyone familiar with this tool and know where to get one?

I don't know how well that tool works but all you need to do is fill the cylinder with compressed air. This solution has been around forever. I think the first time I saw it done was on a 312 Ford in an old T-Bird probably around 1968.
It's how we change valve springs on the big car still today.
A shoelace works on these clones and 206s in tech also -- and won't matter if the valve is leaking some. ;)

OP, Lewis makes some nice stuff though -- just give him a call.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I don't know how well that tool works but all you need to do is fill the cylinder with compressed air. This solution has been around forever. I think the first time I saw it done was on a 312 Ford in an old T-Bird probably around 1968.
I don't always have a compressor or air tank handy, that's why this simple gadget caught my attention. There is also the method of filling the cylinder with rope then moving the piston up. I like quick & simple

It's how we change valve springs on the big car still today.
A shoelace works on these clones and 206s in tech also -- and won't matter if the valve is leaking some. ;)

OP, Lewis makes some nice stuff though -- just give him a call.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I was considering tying or using a clip like found on the lock n lube style grease gun, or even a strong magnet, but something under the valve makes me feel better than something holding onto the top

How does it work.? Are you able to get that 90 in the hole.? Might not work on a mini bike though,with tight space. Thanks
You should. You fish the 90 in and set them end on the valve and tighten the nut down in the spark plug hole and holds it tight.

I have never had a problem putting rope in the cylinder. but the eBay thing is pretty cool looking and is probably easier to find than looking for a piece of rope when I need it. Wondering if it will reach every recessed valve I run across but for 12 bucks I will try it.

i have one, mine is a pain. there is no led in on the threads making very hard to start in.
I have one.
My thoughts are that the threads could be machined off the collar, leaving a slip fit to depth, then the lock set screw secured.

Only problem is not having a stop to ensure no movement from over the valve.

Not a problem for me but others may see that as an added difficulty.

I have one.
My thoughts are that the threads could be machined off the collar, leaving a slip fit to depth, then the lock set screw secured.

Only problem is not having a stop to ensure no movement from over the valve.

Not a problem for me but others may see that as an added difficulty.
My thoughts were directed more towards heavier springs. Stock class springs would be a breeze.

My thoughts were directed more towards heavier springs. Stock class springs would be a breeze.
You shouldn't have any difference holding the valve no matter which spring, except to break the taper loose between the keepers and the retainer.
A sharp knock on top of the retainer before installing the tool will facilitate this.

The tool simply prevents the valve from falling into the cylinder.

Pair it with this tool, awesome setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-36050-...t=&hvlocphy=9025060&hvtargid=pla-316724731654

You shouldn't have any difference holding the valve no matter which spring, except to break the taper loose between the keepers and the retainer.
A sharp knock on top of the retainer before installing the tool will facilitate this.

The tool simply prevents the valve from falling into the cylinder.

Pair it with this tool, awesome setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-36050-...t=&hvlocphy=9025060&hvtargid=pla-316724731654
Hmmm actually, you are correct. Do you have that other tool? I can't visualize how it works.

Back