Valve Lapping Tool

mwbmod74

What valve lapping tool do you guys prefer?? The one I use is a pos and don't stick to the valves well at all.. Thx in advance...

Use a little lube on it... Or it has got stiff and needs lube on it to make it stick.

Usually use some dielectric grease works well.

I use a drill... I have a piece of rubber hose that fits the valve stem pretty tight. I put a piece of threaded rod in the end of the hose and chuck the drill on it. Works great. I also lap my racing V8 engines the same way, except I just chuck it straight on the valve stem. I just apply the pressure I want and take my time, been doing it for many years. (I do use a drill that you hand tighten the bits in)

I use a drill... I have a piece of rubber hose that fits the valve stem pretty tight. I put a piece of threaded rod in the end of the hose and chuck the drill on it. Works great. I also lap my racing V8 engines the same way, except I just chuck it straight on the valve stem. I just apply the pressure I want and take my time, been doing it for many years. (I do use a drill that you hand tighten the bits in)
B....am I reading this right? Are you 'pulling' the valve to the seat from the back-side (rocker-side) with ur drill, rather then 'pushing' the valve to the seat w/a suction-cup tool? I have 'often' thought about trying that... but havn't....(till now)! :)

B....am I reading this right? Are you 'pulling' the valve to the seat from the back-side (rocker-side) with ur drill, rather then 'pushing' the valve to the seat w/a suction-cup tool? I have 'often' thought about trying that... but havn't....(till now)! :)

I'm going to say that's what he's talking about. I've seen it done on big engines this way before. Never seen anyone do it with the small engines but, it only makes since that you could.

You can lap the valves in that manner (from the "other" side.)
Any lapping requires a bit of finesse however.

Yes sir, works great!

I have done it both ways, but the "pull to the seat" method is a lot easier. Just don't get any compound near stem and use a good grease on stem and guide. Take your time though. Works great.

X2 and its a whole lot less strain on me !

Back