Valve seat cutter help

stmathew

I'm trying to design a seat cutter set through a tool maker in India. One for the OHV engines. So far I've came up with 30,45 and 60 degree cutters. For 24,25,27,28, and 28.5mm valves. I'm at a loss on the bigger diameters to add to the set, 31-33mm? Which are most common, which way should I approach this. I've already helped get a Briggs flathead set in production, consisting of 2 cutters, 1 5/16" diameter, 31, and 46 degrees, with a 1/4" pilot. Would Like any help I can get, to make a low cost set, for the OHV series engines. Thanks for any input~!~

Humm, A 1/4" pilot doesn't seem to work for me. I have used my cutters quite a bit yet I like a ground seat. I have too much Input to type about your first post request here at this time.

Are you saying you will need a specific dedicated cutter for each size of those valves?
What's the projected cost per cutter going to be?

I use my 1/4" steel pilot every day and it works great for me.
I think how it works depends on the technique.
I also uses a 6mm steel pilot and it works great for me also.
If you need something stiffer carbide is the way to go.
I have carbide pilots for my 3 angle single point cutters because steel isn't stiff enough.

I'll have to check again, yet I don't think any of my .250" pilots insert deep enough into the exhaust or intake valve guides.

I have seen these on the auction site.
They looked like metal grinding stones not actual cutters .
Are these any different in design ?

NEW WAY CUTTERS. Flat Head and Briggs over head 1/4 to 6mm and larger all Available true Goodson or NewWay Diffrent sizes and angles up to 2 inches ..

this is the first set i helped design, and have listed on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264225873505 that set is for the briggs flatheads, just stock valves.. 31 and 46 degree cutters both cutters will cut exhaust/intake. WITH.. the 1/4" pilot. On my intitial post, I did have my head clouded with figures and you guys are right, 1/4" pilot isnt right.. seems to be 5, and 5.5mm. this is what i've came up with so far.. being able to eliminate some cutters because one size will work with different diameters of seats. The seat cutters I'm designing, are solid blade cutters, not adjustable like Neways. The sets im trying to design are made to basically copy neway, but at a lower cost. The briggs set to me is a good working set for the money, I'm mainly a flathead guy, and i like em, i am only a backyard fun toy builder.. not into racing in any depth. But this si what I've worked out so far on the OHV type engine set. See if any of you find something wrong, or suggest anything be added.

24,28,33mm cutters 45° (could go 46°, to allow for lapping).
24,28,33mm cutters 30°
24,28,33mm cutters 60°
5, 5.5mm reamers
5, 5.5mm pilot stems

Thanks.. Matt

Yea.. one guy is selling some that are like grinding stones. he's actually been taking ideas from the guy i'm working with. The thing is, in India, they really arent informed on what the small engine ones are for, ones that most people use for racing.. etc.. I've been able to get with a guy, and design a set already for the Briggs flathead, its on the market now, at a lower cost than Neways, but basically the same. These are carbide bladed cutters, you can also add cutters, and the diamond type wheel grinding stones if a guy wanted. I wadnt interested in em myself. This is the single angle set I have got on the market now, i own one, and i like it, its alot lower cost than the Neway, and for me, just being an old backyard type builder of toys, it works great. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264225873505

I got more figured out, and explained myself betetr, to the whole post, I'm not real good at forum talk , its new to me. I was able to eliminate some cutters because certin sizes will cut more than one diameter of seat. But its basically dealing with the smallest 24mm upto the largest, 32mm (what i think is correct) on the OHV engines. I've already designed, and have into market a set for the Briggs Flathead, single angle, basically the same as neways, but at a lower cost. Here it is https://www.ebay.com/itm/264225873505

Thanks, Matt

You're right. I miss thought that out, from me working on a Briggs set. The pilots are 5 and 5.5 mm which this set will have, with reamers for both. My briggs set is on the market, and compatible with Neways, at a lower cost. I like it, I'm not into racing, just a home garge type builder of toys. Here is the briggs set, and as soon as I get all this figured out, I will ahve a OHV set out as well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264225873505

Thnaks, matt

Back