Valve Springs

BP0W3RS

Intake spring passed weight check in tech several times but failed tech after the 18th race.

I asked my builder and he suggested that his springs sometimes stiffen up when over revved or floated.

Is this even possible? Has anyone ever heard of springs getting better with heat?

Last edited:
I have heard of work hardening metal . I think it typically is in conjunction with fracture failure .
Sounds suspect .

a spring when floated and fatigued will tend to loose pressure and we’ll as install height, it will also do this through time and regular use as well. It supports different weights at different heights so maybe just fatiguing it through regular use got ya?

I have tech several spring and if the correct procedure is used ( the spring is placed on the fixture the way that it is installed in the engine) the spring will pass, however if you take the same spring and flip it on the fixture, I’ve seen MANY that fail the check.... are you 100% sure that the spring was checked as installed ?

I have tech several spring and if the correct procedure is used ( the spring is placed on the fixture the way that it is installed in the engine) the spring will pass, however if you take the same spring and flip it on the fixture, I’ve seen MANY that fail the check.... are you 100% sure that the spring was checked as installed ?
I'm not. He had me remove the intake spring and hand it to him but I wish I would've asked him to flip it now.

why??? why would one way be different? that's like saying i can get more life from my springs if i flip them every race.. i want to learn more about the tech process. was this a static weight 10.8 checker or something different.?

why??? why would one way be different? that's like saying i can get more life from my springs if i flip them every race.. i want to learn more about the tech process. was this a static weight 10.8 checker
why??? why would one way be different? that's like saying i can get more life from my springs if i flip them every race.. i want to learn more about the tech process. was this a static weight 10.8 checker or something different.?
Static weight 10.8lb and 18lb.

On my spring gauge when you check the spring by rotating it 1/3 turn and checking it again there is a different reading. Turn it upside down and you get a different reading again. It is because of the bend in the spring

Seems like the weight of the fixture spread evenly on both end diameters of the spring would be equal no matter how the spring is turned.

Going forward I guess I'll be changing springs often since now I know legal springs can become illegal if left in too long.

I had a set of springs I ground down to legal. Ran them on the Dyno and rechecked them only because I got this same story before. They were illegal after the run.

in regards to all the information, then from a tech standpoint. if a spring fails the 10.8/18 checks.. i should turn the springs 1/3 all the way around checking each time and then flip it and do the same to see if ONE of the variations pass. or only as installed with 1/3 rotations. Looking forward to the 2021 rule book

Nothing is going to change in the 21 rule book on spring check. The engine owner removes the spring and the tech observes the process. The spring is to be placed on the checker the way it was ran in the engine. Not to be concerned with a 1/3 rotation just the retainer end up as it came out.

Nothing is going to change in the 21 rule book on spring check. The engine owner removes the spring and the tech observes the process. The spring is to be placed on the checker the way it was ran in the engine. Not to be concerned with a 1/3 rotation just the retainer end up as it came out.
Is the "way it was ran" procedure part of the NKA rule? I can't find it.

0CDF4966-4B87-4FEF-AA29-E3F010609F42.jpeg

NKA does NOT specify but I would always practice the method of the way it’s in the engine

Intake spring passed weight check in tech several times but failed tech after the 18th race.

I asked my builder and he suggested that his springs sometimes stiffen up when over revved or floated.

Is this even possible? Has anyone ever heard of springs getting better with heat
Not possible. I’ve seen my share of springs and trust me they fatigue with use.

Back