Vanguard

A few years back, at the UAS Grand Nationals that were held in Warrensburg, MO, there were a couple of guys showed up with the Vanguards. I watched them run practice and they seemed very competitive, but then I got busy. I really don't know how far they progressed in the heat's and semi's but I heard them running a lot that day. For some reason I want to believe they were from that part of the country because I never seen them at any of the other UAS Grand Nationals.

A few years back, at the UAS Grand Nationals that were held in Warrensburg, MO, there were a couple of guys showed up with the Vanguards. I watched them run practice and they seemed very competitive, but then I got busy. I really don't know how far they progressed in the heat's and semi's but I heard them running a lot that day. For some reason I want to believe they were from that part of the country because I never seen them at any of the other UAS Grand Nationals.
I have heard at my local track in MO that they had some karts with motors like that a few years back

1640178547161.png

We built 1 (MANY moons ago) with the intention of getting into the 2 cylinder market.
We still have a brand new engine (still in the box) that was going to be engine #2 that never came to fruition.
There were not many aftermarket parts for this engine back then, and we didn't spend a lot of time balancing the rotating assembly, which I believe was our biggest factor, but ultimately excess rpm killed engine #1.
This engine platform could be developed for sure. ARC has a handful of rods and a flywheel now, I think.
Availability of more aftermarket parts will require some popularity with the engine first.
The engine's weight and size are definitely a drawback, but considering what guys are doing with 450s, water cooled, etc, it's really no worse.
Can it be competitive with the big opens today? Doubtful, in my opinion. It's still an industrial engine and designed to run at 3600 rpm.
But it could be a fun stand-alone class with a limited set of rules.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The main advantage, to my mind, seems to be the torque of a 4 stroke with the power per 2 revs that a single cyl. 2 stroke produces. Kinda' the best of both worlds, at the tradeoff of more weight. If it was me, I'd freight train a couple of clones on a common billet bottom with internal oil-bath chain coupling and use a sprint-car quick-change in that same case for quick ratio changes between long-track and short-tracks, leaving the standard kart gear setup on the outside largely alone. But it would be a lot simpler just to get the 14hp Vanny and develop it. :)

FB17F623-BAE1-4525-AC29-471F45ADEC73.jpeg

I have tried many different carbs on mine and the most consistent/powerful has been a two barrel, the aftermarket parts have came a long way as you can now get everything you need to keep them together. Mine makes around 80hp and turns 9,500 rpm’s, I don’t know how well it would do on a kart but it’s very hard to beat on a lawnmower

View attachment 19493
I have tried many different carbs on mine and the most consistent/powerful has been a two barrel, the aftermarket parts have came a long way as you can now get everything you need to keep them together. Mine makes around 80hp and turns 9,500 rpm’s, I don’t know how well it would do on a kart but it’s very hard to beat on a lawnmower
I was going to steer him towards the mower guys , but you beat me to it , lol

Kenny Huffaker and Kyle Schmidt, both from Arkansas, ran the Vanguards in Open with a lot of success---look them up on FB and they should be a good source of info and experience. They both ran a lot in the SW Mo. area at Twister Alley in Butterfield and other tracks.

Back