VCG and cross

TheNovice95

Can it be assumed that the higher the vcg the less cross you need?
Because a higher vcg is a longer lever, transfering more weight to the RF and back to the LR?

When I assume typically its wrong .
Though that assumption would appear correct .
I'm going with you want the VCG as low as possible .

I understand that a low vcg is preferred, however, I am trying to figure out a outlaw wing converssion kart setup, one with a full containment aluminum seat. Trying to decide if anything from the flat kart setup transitions to the conversion kart setup.

That then changes things considerably.
The wing alone would raise the vcg .
Not my cup of tea but i doubt much carries over .

Should the wing be self supporting against the static pressure of the air? Not 100% by any means but to a relatively neglible amount of equilibrium.

I am more concerned with how the seat changes the loading/unloading of the LR. With a chassis designed for a small fiberglass seat and a low VCG compared with the very robust aluminum seat with a very high VCG, I am operating with the (most likely wrong) assumption that less front and less cross will be needed.

Am I overthinking this?

Wing and side boards . I am no engineer but feel its all designed to push down . So my answer is no .
Less frt ok I ll agree . Cross unless you have a lot of weight to move is not that big of range . So yes less cross to offset the weight rolling over . Its problay going to be lifting the left frt up and maybe the lft rear if theres enough transfer .
The cage also stiffens the chassis , adds weight and affects vcg as well .

Wings with side boards are not just about down force. The first driver of my 600 micro came straight from the Yamaha flat kart class. His first comment after his first 25 lap practice session was, "Those side dams are amazing; you can actually feel them grab the air and start tipping the car back to the left as you get into the turn." So by adding the wing, you will be dealing with more than just down force.

A 600 micro, 500 open, 250, or even 125 wing classes I would agree that the wing adds side force and down force through the corner. No question about it.
On a conversion kart running a clone, the wing is ran more flat with the side panels creating side force offsetting the cages vcg, I assume.
With the cage mounted on springs, and the side panels offsetting the wing/cage vcg. Is the lower nose/cross from the seat vcg correct ?

I realize that this is all therorized guessing (fun to think about and to debate) and the true test will be at the track.

you would be very surprised as to how much a wing will do with "just a clone" Run some laps with one and then without. you will be shocked as to how much that wing does for the handle of the kart.

I hope this is a very modded clone, as I wouldn't want to put a full wing and sides on a box stocker! Jr1 karts would turn faster lap times!

Back