Vega blue tires in reverse?

Greg_470

Hey folks, run a newer Birel AM29 with Briggs 206 masters. Currently layed off and trying to get the most out of what I have. Has anyone ran the Vega blue tires (or any medium-hard racing tire) in reverse? As in with the arrows going the wrong way. If so were there any adverse affects? Chunking, blistering, and/or delamination is what I'm concerned with. Have a front tire that's slightly more worn on the inside and was going to slap it on the opposite way and use up the other edge. Honestly I'm a perfectionist at heart was a licensed mechanic for years and I know the right answer is "no, don't do it" but out of work right now so trying to get the most of what I got. Appreciate any comments. Thanks all.

Reversing the tire rotation is no problem even if they are new. Long gone are the days of the Carlisle tires that would peal if you run them in reverse.

That being said the best way to rotate the tires is to keep them on the same rotation but swap them left to right. This means you will have to dismount, turn them around on the wheels then put them on the opposite side from where they were so the meat of the tire is on the inside edge.

If you find the tires get dried out and take too long to start gripping, you can brush on a coat of Trac Tac SST a few days before the track to put some oils back in the tires.

If you start to see chords, time for a new set.

Sundog

Last edited:
Awesome man thanks so much for the remark. Ideally that's what I was going to do but what needed up happening is I had cords on my left front so I want to slap on a take off I had on to replace it, but the takeoff I had also came off the left front so it's worn on the inside (no cords though) so was going to mount it running in reverse so the meat is on the inside. Will take a few laps to cone it the opposite was but I'm going to give it a shot in reverse. Thanks again

I have done it to my sons kart a lot, never had a issue. On my kart I just get used tires and I always put them with the prettiest side out. I don't race and just like to out a few times a month. There is always enough decent used tires after big races I haven't needed to buy a set

Back