Vega MBS

ChampKart23

I am looking to run some pavement/ashpalt races where yellow Vegas are the go to tire. I have a set of MBS tires that are brand new. Will they be ok and run with the MCS tires or is it a lost cause. Any difference between the MBS and MCS?

You’ll be fine, the MBS used to Duro a bit harder. I still have MBS left rears for the slim occasions that we run asphalt.

Supposedly, the MBS had more natural gum rubber in them than the newer MCS. I can't validate that claim, but I can tell you that the way that they cut differently on the lathe would indicate some truth to that. Well, that, and the fact that gum rubber is getting extremely expensive as compared to synthetic rubber, it would make sense that tire companies would increase their synthetic blend percentages.

Roll them with something internal as suggested (HotLap) or my favorite, Medium Rare, and go race them.
When you wear them out, or feel there's more speed to be had in a new set, getcha some MCS and repeat.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give them a go. Unfortunately I won't have time to order any prep for this race. Any readily available chemical you'd recommend wiping on them to soften them up?

Funny I found this post from George Bark back in 2014:
"Heres some advice when using Vega MBS's on pavement....
Flathead Racing, RS & LR should be cut.
Animal & Clone Racing, Uncut tires, but LR should be cut.

2014 MBS tires somewhat need internal prep from testing this year.
1-3oz in the rights depending on air temp & 2oz in the LF. If its over 95 deg out, I don't see using any internal prep.
The 2014 tire takes a few extra laps to come in, and require more heat to generate better lap times.
The MBS Yellow vega was replaced this week by the MCS...…."

Funny I found this post from George Bark back in 2014:
"Heres some advice when using Vega MBS's on pavement....
Flathead Racing, RS & LR should be cut.
Animal & Clone Racing, Uncut tires, but LR should be cut.

2014 MBS tires somewhat need internal prep from testing this year.
1-3oz in the rights depending on air temp & 2oz in the LF. If its over 95 deg out, I don't see using any internal prep.
The 2014 tire takes a few extra laps to come in, and require more heat to generate better lap times.
The MBS Yellow vega was replaced this week by the MCS...…."
Food for thought, IF on asphalt, and its up at 95 degrees, more internal is needed than at 70 degrees.

^ I would agree to a point, but that also depends on what prep you are using as internal.
I have no idea what George would have been using in 2014.
We use our Medium Rare internal for Vegas on pavement.
If we were to use our Pink Panther internal, the tire would get too soft and sticky (= not fast.)
Just the opposite on dirt, however...Pink Panther is our "go-to" internal for Vegas on dirt, whereas the only time we'd use Medium Rare on dirt is if the track really bites up and builds excessive tire temps/wear.

Back