Vega or Hoosiers

RCJ

A friend has been running d20a Hoosier and is going to buy a new set of D10a. His main competition is running yellow vega . How do the tires compare. Low bite dry slick, low tire wear, 600ft some banking

d10's gonna be pretty soft for your "low bite dry slick", a set of yellow vegas not overly doped up with prep that's around 45-ish on the duro will be a much better choice imo...I just cant see a set of D10's lasting on that type of surface.....ive found yellow vegas rolled inside with a mild inside prep then wiped trackside with track tac black sand for heats and the wiped before feature with black sand/acrysol 50/50 seems to work very well...

Last edited:
Screenshot_20200629-200200_Chrome.jpg

As flattop posted if your friends wants to stick with the hoosiers then he really should buy the A40's. I am watching people win on them locally against yellow Vegas. Personally I have and do run both. With a little research your friend should be able to pick up a set of yellow vegas or hoosier a40's used online with low laps on them. I would recommend this so he would have both to see which type works best for him at that track.

Here is a link to some used A40's being sold on here. I have personally bought tires from this guy and he is great to deal with.

https://4cycle.com/karting/threads/several-sets-of-hoosiers.113709/#post-814578

A40s are similar to Vega Yellows, except that they are harder and don't bite up nearly as well until they get some heat in them. I think of them more as Vega Blues really.
If the track builds sufficient heat in the tires to abuse a Yellow, or make a Blue work...then the Hoosier A40 will work great.
If the A40 doesn't build any heat, they'll be terrible.
Think how a typical yellow works, and te A40 works just the opposite.
Yellows fire off well, then slow down a few laps in when they get too warm.
The A40s don't fire well at all (without a hot box and harsh prep), but really come on once they build heat.
Make sure that you keep the tires warm if you catch a late race caution.
Each tire has their forte for sure...we run (and sell) them both.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

A40s are similar to Vega Yellows, except that they are harder and don't bite up nearly as well until they get some heat in them. I think of them more as Vega Blues really.
If the track builds sufficient heat in the tires to abuse a Yellow, or make a Blue work...then the Hoosier A40 will work great.
If the A40 doesn't build any heat, they'll be terrible.
Think how a typical yellow works, and te A40 works just the opposite.
Yellows fire off well, then slow down a few laps in when they get too warm.
The A40s don't fire well at all (without a hot box and harsh prep), but really come on once they build heat.
Make sure that you keep the tires warm if you catch a late race caution.
Each tire has their forte for sure...we run (and sell) them both.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
So a class with a lot of cautions and only 12 lap features the yellows are probably a better candidate it sounds like.

That is how he got on the d20a . The track is not building any heat. Last year they were watering it before his feature. This year they are leaving It dryer but they added soap to the water. We changed the prep. He has been on the same tires for half of last year and all of this year. Probably time for a new set. Track might have a little moisture in it when he races, when my race comes up later in the night it is dry and slick.

That is how he got on the d20a . The track is not building any heat. Last year they were watering it before his feature. This year they are leaving It dryer but they added soap to the water. We changed the prep. He has been on the same tires for half of last year and all of this year. Probably time for a new set. Track might have a little moisture in it when he races, when my race comes up later in the night it is dry and slick.

Sounds to me then the decision should be the yellow Vega's. They will be more opt to come in faster than the Hoosiers as Brian explained earlier.

Id be on a yellow Vega myself with Brian’s pink panther inside it and a 180 grit scuff with his bite agent on the outside. If it was damp it still be on a yellow Vega prepped into the mid 40s at about 5 psi. I’m no guru just race on similar surfaces and know what works for me.

I wouldn't be on D10s unless it were a jr 1 or peewee class. The sidewall is so soft on the 10's that it flat kills the roll speed for heavier classes.
Now, if it's very small bullring, you "might" get away with it.
My preference (other than Yellow Vegas) would be Hoosier D30As prepped down if you want to be on Hoosiers for a track like that. That way you get the stiff(er) sidewall but the softness that you are looking for.

For the track he is describing what would be better pre race wipe Orange or sapphire? I was using SQS during the winter and seemed to work well. But its getting hot now time to move on I believe

Get on yellow vegas with brians prep and hammer down. Our program has picked up a lot of speed this year switching. Now the only downfall i see is yellows are soft and they don’t last long at all. We might get 10 races on a set.

Get on yellow vegas with brians prep and hammer down. Our program has picked up a lot of speed this year switching. Now the only downfall i see is yellows are soft and they don’t last long at all. We might get 10 races on a set.

Good to hear!
Any tire that's soft won't last long in racing. 10 races can be pretty good, depending on the track surface. This year, that might mean a whole season! :sick:

Back