Vega ?'s

jwiseman19

I have a new set of vega tires, what do need to do to them? I'm racing crawdad dirt dusty no bite. I've been racing burris but the vegas seem to be what everyone else is winning on. The burris are punching 56. What do the vegas need to be to get them to bite. When I was on them last it felt like the kart was just sliding, and had to go back to burris. Does the kart need to be setup different for the tires? Any info will help me Ive always been on burris and Im lost on the vegas.

If it's a dry dusty track. Track tac blacksand is what I would use. I believe Veda tires punch at a 55 new.

Frankie

You need to break them open -- scuff sand them for sure.

I use Pink Panther on them when we run them, (inside and out) and it works great -- super sticky for those low/no bite tracks.
If they are thins, you wouldn't have to even cut them, just sand them, prep, and go.

-
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

That depends on the track surface and how much wear / temp you are getting in the tires.

In my opinion, a tire needs to build some temperature to work best, and a tire wears to relieve heat. Excessive wear is usually a result of being too soft on duro. No wear and no temp is usually a result of being too hard of duro.

Being that Vega Yellows on dirt are generally used on very low bite track surfaces, you can usually soften them and be just fine. Some Vega tracks will need a tire punching in the high teens, low 20's, while others will be better suited around 52-54 just as they come out of the wrapper.

Likewise, heavier classes and higher HP classes will abuse tires more than lightweight plate classes, so you might find a harder duro tire working better for a stock heavy class than a jr1 class on the same race track. Tracks bite up differently throughout the night and can take a bit harder tire for longer runs (features) as well.

If it were as simple as "use this tire, with this prep, punching this duro" at any given track, everyone would be on the exact same stuff. In reality, the guy that makes the best tire choices throughout the night will be the guy to beat, and everyone else is chasing him.

Brian,,how u doing ..have a guy that wants to sell a brand new set of yellow vegas ,,suppose to be for asphault whats the difference in them and dirt...im in central florida and they are mounted and ballanced for $220 never been on the ground...i need a set for dirt for a open clone

Brian,,how u doing ..have a guy that wants to sell a brand new set of yellow vegas ,,suppose to be for asphault whats the difference in them and dirt...im in central florida and they are mounted and ballanced for $220 never been on the ground...i need a set for dirt for a open clone

If they are the yellows, they are most likely the thicks. Same tire used on dirt also but most cut that tire in Fl when being used.

PM'ed you back a few minutes ago, Bailey, before I saw this thread......I gave you almost verbatim the advice that Earl gives.
Spot on.

Thanks,
Brian

Back