Vega tires won't accept prep that good

IDK what im doing wrong, I wash with Dawn dishsoap, then grind with 80 grit, then spray prep on them. My Hoosiers accept prep with in minutes as well as my Burrises, but Vega takes an hour to do so.

Are you keeping the tires cool enough when grinding?

Very few tires are actually rubber, most are modified plastic.

Overheat plastic, you effectively seal it up.

Slow and wet, regardless of tire makeup.

IDK what im doing wrong, I wash with Dawn dishsoap, then grind with 80 grit, then spray prep on them. My Hoosiers accept prep with in minutes as well as my Burrises, but Vega takes an hour to do so.
Quit washing with dish soap and then you are using way way too course a grit for Vegas. You may be sealing over the tire yourself. Use 400 and 600 grit by hand so you can feel when tire starts to get hot. Also use Track Tac Tac Tire Wash, Track Claw cleaner, or something similar to clean tires with, but i prefer the TT wash.

Are the tires sealing up when you refinish them? Vegas are very oily and can gum up easily when sanding them if you use too much pressure, not enough coolant, or don't keep your grinder/sander moving quickly enough.
Personally, I prefer our Green Apple Clean (tire wash) - but I'm thinking you're problem is not in how you are washing them, but in how you are refinishing them.
It could also be that you have this particular set of tires loaded up with prep already and they simply don't want to accept any more. Easy to do with a thin natural rubber tire.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Part of if could be age and over prepped. I would try and practice on them and see if you get a good heat cycle on them and resurface them. You will need to keep the tires plenty wet to keep them cool.

You need new tires, our Vegas soak up prep with no issue. We beat yellows down to a duro of 25 at a local track here in NE Florida.

Years back when my nephew was in blue plate racing at flatrun here in Central Pa I had a set punching 14 when they got bolted on for his feature, plus low air and results were very good !!

"Stick them to the wall of your trailer. No tire rack needed." :)
Yes, Yellows punching in the teens is fairly common on moist/slick tracks.
We've done them that way for years at certain tracks, and very successfully I might add.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yes sir, we can make a Vega yellow stick to the wall of the trailer so bad sometimes you have to pry them off! I'm so glad we got away from running tracks like that though! I enjoy the Maxxis races running a tire punching 48-58, saves a lot of time and chemical!

Back