Vega Vs Maxxis

Most of the tracks i race at are open tire tracks. I always take a set of yellow vegas that are prepped down just incase it rains. My question is if there is a time and place for the vega to be used. Or could a softer maxxis be faster in certain conditions? I have my opinion but wanted to see what other peoples thoughts are !

I've always used the rule of thumb that if I need to get a Maxxis softer than say 45-50 on the duro, there's probably a faster tire (sometimes Vega Yellow, sometimes Hoosier FK, or something else.) 50+ and Maxxis is predictably fast.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

When would you need a tire 53++?

I'm guess when the track is hard and abrasive? Does the time of year impact this? seems that tracks get much harder and more abrasive in the dead of summer here in the Mid-west. I noticed, that tracks here seemed to be damp/soft in the fall and never firm up like they were in the summer.

Will be running some Stock Appearing this year with an open tire rule. I'm thinking that a combination of yellow vegas and Maxxis applied at different times will be the best way to go.

I've read that Vegas are good in low bite tracks but what about dusty tracks then dusty hard tracks?

What tire would work best for Ashway (hard Burris track). in a RWYB race?
From personal experience at similar tracks I would start with a 50 duro tire, Burris or Maxxis, and wipe bite into them, as much as possible. Vegas are really fast for a while.

When would you need a tire 53++?

I'm guess when the track is hard and abrasive? Does the time of year impact this? seems that tracks get much harder and more abrasive in the dead of summer here in the Mid-west. I noticed, that tracks here seemed to be damp/soft in the fall and never firm up like they were in the summer.

Will be running some Stock Appearing this year with an open tire rule. I'm thinking that a combination of yellow vegas and Maxxis applied at different times will be the best way to go.

I've read that Vegas are good in low bite tracks but what about dusty tracks then dusty hard tracks?
Tracks don't get more abrasive based on the season , they either have abrasive material in the make up of the surface or they don't.
Dry dusty hard track maxxis would be better than vegas.

Back