Vega Yellow left front tire

What is the roll out normally with a vega yellow 4.50x6 MBS on a 6.0x6 wheel?

Getting ready to do some asphalt oval racing and trying to figure out what size wheel I am going to use for the left rear.
Preferably dont want to have to guess and check with new wheels off the shelf.

Thanks
Matthew Laukaitis

Thank you. I have heard many different answers on what wheel to use for the left rear, so I am trying to do this without taking wheels out of stock.

We have used 6-6.5 with success. The Vega will stretch and shrink REAL easy, so if you needed big stagger, you shouldnt have any problem getting it with a 6" rim.

6 1/2 - 7 1/4" wheel on the LR Matthew. Also, if you are going to run any big pavement ovals, consider running 9 1/4" right sides instead of the normal 10's. Keep your right sides at 34" or even a bit smaller if you can (33 3/4" for pavement) to keep the car low and help get the rear stagger you will need.

As JP said, the Vegas size pretty easily (shrink/stretch). Typically, the 4.50 yellow lefts sides on a 6 1/2" wheel will roll out at 32 1/2" for me. (easily gotten to 33"to get closer on stagger)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian,

So why exactly would i run a LR as wide or wider than i do on dirt?

and I assume i would run less stagger on pavement than dirt?

Matthew

we have won 2 street races last year and 1 the year before on yellow vegas...same set.. with 10s on rights and 5.00 on lefts...smaller on lr so kart stays freed up in 25 lap street races....stagger was 1 1/2 front and rear....

I use, 8-1/4", 8-3/8", 8-1/2, 8-5/8, and 8-3/4" rims to adj. my L.R.'s.

Do you not like stretching or swelling tires? That is a bunch of wheels to have laying around. Around here in NC all I run are 8 1/4 for tighter or local tracks. If I go to a bigger more sweeping track I may run an 8 1/2. Never had much luck any wider than that. Some karts may be different. All we ride are Trick/Olimpic. To each his own just seems like a ton of unnecessary money tied up in wheels and pretty good swing on percentages scale wise from each size to another. Even changing rear track width to accommodate the lr it changes the setup numbers doing it that way.

Brian,
So why exactly would i run a LR as wide or wider than i do on dirt?
and I assume i would run less stagger on pavement than dirt?
Matthew

Matthew,
Not sure I understand. You would NOT run a LR as wide or wider on pavement than dirt. Typically on dirt, you run a 6.00 tire on anything from an 8 1/4" - 8 3/4" wide wheel on the LR depending on your chassis, track configuration, and personal preference. Most just run an 8 1/2" LR and forget about it. As easy as it is to size most tires, we generally stick with the same size wheel and offset (if for no other reason than to simplify things.)
For pavement, you will run a LF tire on the LR. (similar to syrup racing) Occasionally on some bigger momentum tracks you may want some more drive up off of the corner so you will need a left rear that actually "works" from the center - out. For most pavement tracks though, you will want to free up the LR tire (again similar to syrup racing.) This is why you run the smaller width 4.50 LR on a 6 1/2" wheel, then stretch it to get the roll-out you will need. Consider the track size (straight lengths and corner radius) when making a decision on stagger (especially for pavement racing.) Consider the difference from say, Mid-States to Grundy.
You also cut the tire considerably different if you are trying to unhook the LR. Give us a call if I can be of specific help.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
765-339-4407

6 1/2 - 7 1/4" wheel on the LR Matthew. Also, if you are going to run any big pavement ovals, consider running 9 1/4" right sides instead of the normal 10's. Keep your right sides at 34" or even a bit smaller if you can (33 3/4" for pavement) to keep the car low and help get the rear stagger you will need.

As JP said, the Vegas size pretty easily (shrink/stretch). Typically, the 4.50 yellow lefts sides on a 6 1/2" wheel will roll out at 32 1/2" for me. (easily gotten to 33"to get closer on stagger)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
765-339-4407

Brian,

I have to respectfully disagree....you should never have to get above a 6.5" wide wheel on the LR for pavement....the Vega, Dunlop, or Firestone can easily reach any desired rollout on a 6-6.5 wheel...anything wider then that (imo) is putting too much meat on the race track

I guess I don't see where we disagree, but that's cool. See my last post clarifying when you might need more forward drive from the center-out.

We've run a 7 1/4" LR with the 4.50 Vega on a local pavement track where we needed 2" of rear stagger and as much forward drive as we could get up off of the corner.
Also won a class at Syracuse last year with this same set-up (Burris.) :)

Brian,

At the beginning of the post i said i was getting ready to do some asphalt oval racing.
I was slightly confused when you said 6.5-7.25 wheel on the left rear, i have heard anything from 5.0-6.5 wheel on the LR. My thoughts are that I will probably use a 6.0 wheel on the LR i just wanted to get some opinions first before i mount them up.

Matthew

Look at it this way matthew...wider the lr is the less cross u run on asphalt because it will make kart tight or push...same as dirt...but, on asphalt less grip outa tires is needed...so..5.00 on left read with 60plus cross and 57 plus left on most karts is faster on asphalt verse wide lr taken a chance of a push...5.00 would be your best bet...and it will also keep kart freed up and wont tend to lock down.and still maintain good grip in the rear..Ask Murphy about daltons wins on asphalt and some customers I have who run it...anything over a 6.00 lr you will have a dump truck...or you will have a lot of cross out of the kart and it will lock down and be a bear on arm pump to turn it at the end of the race...JMO

Back