Vinyl for graphics

boomer216

I am starting to do kart graphics for myself and a few friends and I am looking for the best vinyl to use. Any idea what is used by the top decal guys? I know most whatever it is has a Grey backing, and most anything I have been able to find isn't like that. Any opinions welcome or advice thank you!

Oracal 651 is probably the most popular intermediate outdoor sign vinyl to use for kart graphics. Is the stuff that you are seeing with grey backing vinyl that is printed on? Totally different process and material for die cut printed graphics vs basic layered vinyl. For what its worth, material cost has shot up about 25% year over year (like most everything).

The gray backed material that I have seen is micro-perforated and printed. It IS nice for full color wraps over uneven surfaces for sure. For regular old vinyl graphics, Oracal 651 works well.
FWIW, we purchased a Roland and the works to do our own vinyl in house several years ago and have yet to plug the thing in and cut the first piece. I simply have no time to learn how to use it and both boys are off in school now. By the time I can retire, vinyl layered graphics may not even be a thing anymore! :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The trend is toward laminated printed graphics (see: dirtbike style) but it will always be cheaper to do layered standard vinyl where sections are replaceable instead of re-doing the whole thing. I go by the 20' rule -- I don't care if the kart looks good at 2' away, I care what it looks like 20' away. Most of the cool printed graphics aren't even seen at speed, farther away than 5'. Unless your kart is meant to be a social media photo queen, I'd use layered standard Oracal 651... Also, fluoresecents can't be printed, so you'll have the bonus of brighter options with standard vinyl. All IMO, of course.

be carfull not to but some of the cheap stuff on ebay i did it will not stick. there is some of the cheap stuff on the sign shop web site it is ok cant go wrong with oracal. I bought a cricut machine 2 years back it has paid for its self only 300 on amzon will do everything a karter needs

Back