Viper/Gator clutch

SCA

I've been thinking of buying a new Gator 3 disc clutch. I've read several posts on here that basically say they're a decent clutch for the money which is great because I tend to be lets say, frugal. What I would like to know is what is the engagement RPM out of the box and would it be possible to raise that number to 5K simply by turning the screws that hold the springs thus lowering the installed spring height. I know they sell a softer but not stiffer spring that comes with the clutch. I've also read Bully springs are shorter and are not a direct replacement.

I'd reccomend contacting Shannon Halbert for any clutch needs!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1612323854679.jpg
    FB_IMG_1612323854679.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 95
He's not the easiest to reach sometimes but if you got Facebook, that would make it easier.
Someone here may read this and better help you:)

Yes you can do that with the standard levers and springs. Most places are waiting on parts to be made/distributed to build new units right now.

I would like to know is what is the engagement RPM out of the box and would it be possible to raise that number to 5K simply by turning the screws that hold the springs thus lowering the installed spring height. I
What I would like to know; why do you want to set the clutch to slip at 5K?

For 20 years I have been advising people to slip the clutch at peak torque. Does your engine reach peak torque at 5000? If your clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, that torque is transferred through the chain to the rear axle. With peak torque at the axle, you have maximum horsepower at the rear axle. Acceleration is always better with maximum horsepower at the rear axle. Look at the formula for calculating HP. Torque X RPM / 5252.1 = HP.

Just want the ability to go there if I need to Al. I built a run what you brung small block that should turn 8500. I see clone guys setting their clutches in the upper 3000 range so I'm guessing I'll need a bit more than that. I don't have access to a dyno so I'll have to go by seat of the pants or use the scale trick.

Back