Vortex 2 disc clutch?

Although it's probably good practices (be safe) to do all this maintenance, I never found it to be all that necessary. If your disk clutch is slipping, on the starts, to what you think is best, there's nothing wrong with it. If it starts to slip at an RPM higher than you would like, adjusted it. Test it in the pits! That spring height number they give you is only a starting point. Adjusted, higher or lower, to suit!

Observation, from race to race, will tell you when it's time for clutch maintenance. You might find that you can trust the clutch to perform adequately for long periods. Only experience will tell you how long those periods should be.

Nothing wrong with being safe, i.e. weekly maintenance, but I think you'll find it's not all that necessary.
Al, how much dirt did you have in your clutch each week on an asphalt sprint track ?

I get your point, still, I can't remember anybody mentioning anything on that subject, ever. It's a good point, what do you do about dirt in your clutch. Is it a big problem? Tell me about your experiences with dirt in the clutch, and your solutions.

Something that intrigues me, in 2 cycle Sprint racing most people use a 3 disc, or a 4 disc, clutch set up. Why exactly do 4 cycle racers always recommend the 2 disc set up.

I understand the stall RPM is about half with a 4 cycle, with the torque is almost twice as much, wouldn't you need more surface area to hold the torque? Just a theory, but wouldn't a 3 disc clutch generates less heat. Less heat generated, more power going to the rear axle.

It's a good point, what do you do about dirt in your clutch. Is it a big problem? Tell me about your experiences with dirt in the clutch, and your solutions.
Al, I figured you we’re smarter than that, but seeing you asked.
Have you ever went to the beach and got sand in your crack ? Was that a problem ?

Something that intrigues me, in 2 cycle Sprint racing most people use a 3 disc, or a 4 disc, clutch set up. Why exactly do 4 cycle racers always recommend the 2 disc set up.

I understand the stall RPM is about half with a 4 cycle, with the torque is almost twice as much, wouldn't you need more surface area to hold the torque? Just a theory, but wouldn't a 3 disc clutch generates less heat. Less heat generated, more power going to the rear axle.
I may regret getting involved in all of this hi-jacked thread banter, but Al, the 4 cycle clutches that we all use are much larger in diameter than 2 cycle clutches. That also equates to more friction surface area. More area mean less discs are required. So the next logical thought might be, why wouldn't the 2 cycle guys run a bigger diameter clutch and less # of discs? Because slipping a clutch (even KT100 Yamaha) at 10,500 rpm is moving a lot of mass around the end of that crank -- as that orbit gets bigger, bad things can happen...and that's just where they engage, consider spinning that mass up to 15Gs!
Most 4 strokes turn half of that rpm. Your theory of a 3 disc generating less heat is accurate, but then again, a single disc clutch (set up properly) creates very little heat. For a while, many of the top Briggs adult racers were using single disc clutches. They really aren't a problem until you start getting caution after caution -- all those restarts were too much for a single disc clutch due to a lack of surface area to dissipate the heat. Compromise was to go to a 2 disc clutch. Currently, nothing more is needed as the ROI simply isn't there.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back