VP Racing fuel

The main problem with VP is the smell it gives off when burning, I ran the VP's SEF [ small eng fuel ] which is 94 oct non-ethanol fuel. It made a solid 1/2hp over the local pump gas, although your eng needs to be set-up for 94 oct [ comp, timing ]. The smell is awesome but hard to hide !!!!!!!

To set the engine up to exploit the 94 octane (comp, and timing) that is where the extra 1/2 HP came from. You would require a higher compression ratio and you could have advanced ignition timing, the required compression ratio for the 97 octane would make you outside of the AKRA rules.

Gasoline is totally different than what VP is selling

Okay, then what is VP selling?

I have looked at there master list, NONE say Gasoline they all say fuel
Yes gasoline is a fuel by definition, it is also entirely different from methanol which is also considered a fuel isnt it?
Now if they sold 87 octane racing gasoline it would be debatable if it could be used in karting
Read the tech section on the ingredients in there Fuels, you'll see none use gasoline

You don't realize that "gasoline" is not a single specific ingredient nor is it a concrete recipe of ingredients or proportions. Pump gasoline can be any mixture of hydrocarbons as long as it has a stoich AFR within acceptable limits and meets EPA regulations. Race "fuel" for off-highway use, including what falls under the definition of gasoline, is not bound by such limitations. I think VP avoids using the term "gasoline" to distance their products from pump gas. Both Rockett and Sunoco have directly comparable products that are referred to as gasoline.

stupid questions of the day... why pay more then $5 a gallon for 87 octane??? 2nd why would you not want ethanol in your pump gas??? yes its a filler but you can use that to help you...

Subie Summer blend straight gasoline produces about 114,000 BTU per gallon E85 produces about 82000 BTU and it is heat we are trying to produce. If they are being pumped through the same engine which do you want?

Ethanol is used to meet emissions and satisfy carbon emissions standards, it is not done for an economy or output reasons.

To set the engine up to exploit the 94 octane (comp, and timing) that is where the extra 1/2 HP came from. You would require a higher compression ratio and you could have advanced ignition timing, the required compression ratio for the 97 octane would make you outside of the AKRA rules.

Just to note that the first test was done on an engine that was set-up for PREMIUM PUMP GAS, so I used PREMIUM GAS 93 octane from Sunoco,did two dyno pulls and documented results, drained system and then re-ran on SEF 94 NON-ETHANOL FUEL. there was a SOLID 1/2 HP GAIN WITHOUT ADDING COMPRESSION OR ADVANCING TIMING !!!!!!!

No , not for clone , just save your money and buy fresh fuel at the closes gas station from the track. And keep the receipt to show the tech guy after you win.

I have run e-85 and seen gains of 500rpm on the same gearing over 91 octane with the same timing ... down fall is its a picky fuel and had to re-jet every time out... if I had an adjustable main jet I could do on the fly id still run it!!! the change from winter blended pump gas and summer grade is minimal... I really don't think you would even change jet... just doesn't make since to pay more for 87 octane gas then needed... I could be wrong... im just saying it sounds like a waist of money... id rather pay for 91 octane n try to get a little more timing... just me...

The main problem with VP is the smell it gives off when burning, I ran the VP's SEF [ small eng fuel ] which is 94 oct non-ethanol fuel. It made a solid 1/2hp over the local pump gas, although your eng needs to be set-up for 94 oct [ comp, timing ]. The smell is awesome but hard to hide !!!!!!!

Agreed. I bought a bottle of this a while back to try. (I figured if it's for lawnmowers, ect then it should be legal for us) Nope, not gonna pass. I haven't tried simply because the smell and color would get you tossed instantly, didn't even dyno it.... But at least it's great as a flush with a little oil and stabil.

so much of this confusion could be eliminated if they would just make methanol the 'legal' fuel for this class.

subbietjw "I have run e-85 and seen gains of 500rpm....

It's a more oxygenated fuel than 87octane w/ethanol added. You should see more power.
There is marginally more power in 87octane with ethanol than 87 w/o ethanol because of the O2 in the ethanol.

If you got + 1/2HP then it wasn't due to octane.
Octane is only a measurement of the resistance to detonation. There is no effect on HP unless you are already detonating, spark knocking or pinging. At that point you can get more HP from higher octane, but all the added octane is doing is letting your engine use the higher compression and lack of detonation.

It is what VP is using to make the higher octane that is giving you the extra HP.

I never said that I gained the 1/2hp from the octane, and true that octane is only a measure of the resistance to detonation. I beleave that its the PURNESS of the VP is what brought about the gain. since there was no changes made to the engine except fuel & the 3rd run was made within 8 minutes of prior run with Sunoco pump gas

Just to note that the first test was done on an engine that was set-up for PREMIUM PUMP GAS, so I used PREMIUM GAS 93 octane from Sunoco,did two dyno pulls and documented results, drained system and then re-ran on SEF 94 NON-ETHANOL FUEL. there was a SOLID 1/2 HP GAIN WITHOUT ADDING COMPRESSION OR ADVANCING TIMING !!!!!!!

Can you tell us about the exhaust gas temperature, (EGT)? I had a computer data acquisition equipped dyno back when, and I found that unless I could optimize the EGT readings, I couldn’t compare results between different settings, i.e. fuel, pipes etc.
Can you tell us of any change in jetting or carb settings?
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

I never said that I gained the 1/2hp from the octane, and true that octane is only a measure of the resistance to detonation. I beleave that its the PURNESS of the VP is what brought about the gain. since there was no changes made to the engine except fuel & the 3rd run was made within 8 minutes of prior run with Sunoco pump gas

That's why I wrote this - "It is what VP is using to make the higher octane that is giving you the extra HP."
It's what in the fuel.

AL, I don't have an EGT but I do have an O2 sensor in the muffler which helps a lot. the diff between the two runs is the VP showed that it was richer than the Sunoco, even though I didn't CHANGE any jets, timing or compression

Back