Want Equal Engines?

take your pick
I looked at those links and analyzed the prices. Some price are just the engine, some are a "package - I assume, pipe, air filter, throttle linkage, clutch guard, some are prepped tune / checked over, some are "massaged". That is why there is such price disparity when trying to compare the apple to onion debate. People use the shock number comparing of one engine to the off the shelf number of a completely different engine platform to defend their position. True in kart engines, true in life.

Claim rule has proved it doesn't work. some cheaters refuse to sell their engines and most tracks don't ban them as they should.
So they would be DQ'd and forfeit any winnings and finishing positions correct? IF they want to continue to donate entry fees to go out and have a parade alone so be it.

Call me a Lier but I guarantee you infact I would bet you a little cash even that there are more people cheating that are finished worst than 3rd than the ones that finish 1st 2nd and 3rd. People in top 3 know there karts, know how to be a good driver, have a strong LEGAL motor but most important Understand Tires and how to prep them!
Or a lot of laps, I've raced at the same track since 2006, and started running dirt karts in the 90's with 4.5's on the front and 6.0 and 6.5 on the rear, so I feel like I can make up some with driving skill, It's just crazy how clones were supposed to save us money when it started, and it has went from out of the box to purpose built motors that I got more money in than the flathead I was running, we have a pretty good tech, but they don't tech predator classes (ran it but went back to clones) because I think guys are trying to get away with more in those classes than in the clones just like they did when the clones started, so I would like to see a class with ghosts or 206's or STOCK predators, anything that is not being touched- but don't think it'll fly where I'm at

I looked at those links and analyzed the prices. Some price are just the engine, some are a "package - I assume, pipe, air filter, throttle linkage, clutch guard, some are prepped tune / checked over, some are "massaged". That is why there is such price disparity when trying to compare the apple to onion debate. People use the shock number comparing of one engine to the off the shelf number of a completely different engine platform to defend their position. True in kart engines, true in life.
price of the ghost will be more when outfitted with filter chain guard pump etc. how ever $300 is $300 and the ghost is in stock at my local harbor freight the Lo206 is not. fully built will be another story. no different than the animal. i suspect a blueprinted animal is more than a blueprinted clone.

price of the ghost will be more when outfitted with filter chain guard pump etc. how ever $300 is $300 and the ghost is in stock at my local harbor freight the Lo206 is not. fully built will be another story. no different than the animal. i suspect a blueprinted animal is more than a blueprinted clone.
That all depends on who you go to. Our animals don't cost us 1000+ while still staying inside the rules just fine. The guy who built ours also travels to do tech with some other big names at the large sprint events for the 206. He's been building the animals since they came out so his engines make really good power.

That all depends on who you go to. Our animals don't cost us 1000+ while still staying inside the rules just fine. The guy who built ours also travels to do tech with some other big names at the large sprint events for the 206. He's been building the animals since they came out so his engines make really good power.
the animal was commanding $1500 back in 2012 so you are getting one heck of a deal is that for an animal or a lo206? . The Animals high cost was what brought about the clone and the clones high price brought about the Predator. an animal piston ring set is $70+ a clone is around $15 ghost parts will be more in line with clone parts than Briggs

I paid 1500 in 05. Then several years later a really good one used -- 400.00.
And so it goes my 1500 dollar fresh flathead i cant sell for 400 so its a museum peice .

the animal was commanding $1500 back in 2012 so you are getting one heck of a deal is that for an animal or a lo206? . The Animals high cost was what brought about the clone and the clones high price brought about the Predator. an animal piston ring set is $70+ a clone is around $15 ghost parts will be more in line with clone parts than Briggs
Even when we started 10 years ago we never paid more than a 1000 for one. We also aren't looking to buy one from the big name guys that to be competitive need to be rebuilt twice a year. We get to really good power out of ours for a whole season. People switching to clones has definitely brought the price down. Could they use springs halfway through the season, maybe? But we've never had a spring break or cause problems. Overall I'm happy to have an engine that's a bit more stout and doesn't change every year. My dad bought a 206 a few years back and had around 500 in it. Year or two old. Ran it, liked it, sold it. Far as I know that engine is still in use.

I dont want equal engine, I want an edge over everyone else, a small secret that makes me have that advantage. As long as if passes tech, no one will know any different.

Truth! well said!
BTW- how much is the LO206 pictured^^^^?
I keep hearing (here) "$1000" or more. If the over the counter price is $600 (for a precision, hand built, spec / measurement controlled engine) then what is the $400 for? In the picture I see pipe, air filter, throttle linkage, clutch guard (and the "2 tenths" CRE sticker :giggle:).
I assume some engine prep / tune / adjust? Just asking so I can keep track of the apples to oranges debates.
Engine as pictured is $1175. Higher than some, lower than others, but definitely on par with anyone's in the country on power. That's the nice thing about a sealed engine, is that it's more about "tuning" than "blueprinting." Most racers can do the same things that the "builders" are doing, but would prefer that someone with more knowledge/experience set up their engine for them New 206 engines are $599 MSRP.

OurLO206 bolt-on "race-ready" package includes:

recoil starter

fuel pump

fuel lines

fuel filter

fuel pump pulse line

billet aluminum fuel pump pulse fitting

breather fitting

custom Kwik Link throttle kit

throttle cable and throttle housing

Dirt Angel throttle cable protector

Stock adult black slide tuned carb (restrictor slides and locking clamp additional)

chain guard

chain guard hardware

Green air filter

magnetic oil drain plug

header brace hardware tapped and installed

5507 or 5530 candy cane header

header sleeve or wrap

RLV muffler

RLV steel t-bar muffler clamp

header bracing and clamps

RLV copper exhaust gasket

header hardware and safety wire

Engine is dyno tuned (including fuel and oil)

And no, J-Remy, they are not out of stock, just back-ordered at most places. New engines pop up at different shops across the country, you just have to seek them out - just like wheels and tires have been now for a while. 206s are still shipping from the factory, and trickling in here and there, but the demand is so great for them that they sell as fast as they come in, (which is really no different than the Predator has been for a while now as well.) For the most part, we've been just filling L206 back-orders for the past 2 years now as everyone pre-orders or gets on a list - same with Burris tires. (Which btw, we just got some more in and will sell out by the end of this week.)

It's a great engine platform, but as I always say, spec/sealed engines don't fit everyone's tastes in karting and it can't succeed if it is not tech'ed. Doesn't matter if it's a Ghost, L206, or claimed engine -- if there is no tech, it'll fail to be equal or affordable.

back ordered, out. of stock, just gotta find one filling orders from two years ago, $1000. $1150 etc etc etc. take your pick of reasons, all of it is why it hasn't taken off around me. like I said I would love for them to be the hot ticket just don't see it happening.

what's the difference between out of stock and back ordered. if it ain't on the shelf ready to purchase what do you call it? unavailable??

This will not set well with some and I understand that before saying it but.......Blueprinting ANY stock based engine, is not the way to go. Sure, it can level the playing field, performance wise, strictly from an engine standpoint but, it does nothing to take away any advantage one may have in knowledge of chassis set up and tires. It ONLY adds to the cost of a "meant to be" cheap engine class. Which in turn takes away from the intent of having any engine ran in "box stock" form. I understand the need for builders and shops to make money but, it does nothing to help the budget racers, in the long run. Which is exactly what "box stock" racing is meant to do.

At the same time, I think it's unrealistic to ask any track or organization to purchase a bunch of engines, on their dime. That is UNLESS, they have a tech person who can check them and seal them up. With that said, I just bought my third one and will hopefully be getting number 4 and 5, come Wednesday, to do just that very thing. Every one will be done just like I done with the first one that I posted all the specs and profiles for. Since, I'm apparently the only one who cares about checking as many of these as I can and actually sharing the numbers for consistency or inconsistencies, depending on how you chose to look at it, I figured I might as well seal them up and take em to the track and let people race them. At a small fee of course. LOL

what's the difference between out of stock and back ordered. if it ain't on the shelf ready to purchase what do you call it? unavailable??
That's what I am saying. They are in short supply, not unavailable. They are being built at the factory and being shipped out to distributors & dealers who have bought to have shipped direct from the factory. Engines are available, but you might have to do some calling around if they are not available at your local shop or favorite supplier. Some shops, like ourselves, are only selling race-ready versions of the engine as it's all we can do to keep up with those sales. (Same with Burris tires being only offered as cut sets, and we've just recently allowed sales of new wheels again.) Burris 33s are not "unavailable," simply takes some looking to find and get them, and you may have to purchase them as cut sets rather than stickers.) The Predator engines were in short supply for much of the past year as well. It's an industry wide problem that is global.

That said, I really don't think that the supply has affected demand though -- obviously economics works just the opposite of this, with the exception of hoarding, ex. TP during covid - and this is occurring with the 206 to a small extent.
Consider, pre-covid, when L206 engines were readily available, oval racers weren't buying them back then. So, it's not a matter of availability. If anything, the current 206 backorders are most likely helping the demand for the new Ghost engines.

So they would be DQ'd and forfeit any winnings and finishing positions correct? IF they want to continue to donate entry fees to go out and have a parade alone so be it.
No, that's what was supposed to happen but most times the rules wasn't applied and they were allowed to keep racing at those tracks.

Well 6-9 Horsepower isn't really a selling point either .
Depends who you're selling to... My observation is that the masses (at least on pavement sprint) don't really care as much about power/speed as us hardcore racers would like to think.

1500 senior and 967 junior drivers listed in the Briggs Weekly Racing Series says something about the market IMO. There's nothing else engine package wise on the market that comes close to numbers right now in the sprint world. Dirt of course is a different story.

The 206 is practically unavailable in my observation though, dribs and drabs here and there. I think saying they are available is a big stretch.

Agree with pred racer. News flash if you are cheating and still loosing there's a good chance you are not nearly as good as you think you are. Cheating gains maybe half a hp. That can be overcome with skill and knowledge.
I have to say at the track I run I have had people tell me they are cheating and finish at the back of the pack. When the kart is not setup correct and the tires are not right they are slow then they complain about motor. Unfortunately you kinda just have to let it go and go on with life.

Back