Want to buy Tomar

Hey guys I'm not sure if this is where this goes but I'm needing either a Tomar TD 23 3 Disc clutch drum with preferred 11 tooth but will take 12 or what ever I can get or a complete TD 23 3 Disc clutch for a KT100 . Of course I'm needing it as cheap as I can get it because it is for a restore and I'm trying to stay as far under budget as possible which I blew that a long time ago . Any help , donations , advice on keeping the kart as it was when my mother bought it for me in 75 would be greatly appreciated . Don't flame me too bad for posting in the wrong spot , I'll get it right next time . Oh I have been told that Bully drums will work . Attached is a pic of the problem , it just happened about 10 mins ago

Attachments

• IMG_20230316_183250406.jpg
    IMG_20230316_183250406.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 31
How soon do you need it? I think I have one that I need to remove from the motor....do not have the correct puller. I do not know the number of teeth. If I get a chance I will look tonight. As for price if I get it off unharmed ....$25 plus shipping.

Hey guys I'm not sure if this is where this goes but I'm needing either a Tomar TD 23 3 Disc clutch drum with preferred 11 tooth but will take 12 or what ever I can get or a complete TD 23 3 Disc clutch for a KT100 . Of course I'm needing it as cheap as I can get it because it is for a restore and I'm trying to stay as far under budget as possible which I blew that a long time ago . Any help , donations , advice on keeping the kart as it was when my mother bought it for me in 75 would be greatly appreciated . Don't flame me too bad for posting in the wrong spot , I'll get it right next time . Oh I have been told that Bully drums will work . Attached is a pic of the problem , it just happened about 10 mins ago
That clutch doesn't look like it was put together properly.

I
How soon do you need it? I think I have one that I need to remove from the motor....do not have the correct puller. I do not know the number of teeth. If I get a chance I will look tonight. As for price if I get it off unharmed ....$25 plus shipping.
I may be wrong but the 9T is going to be for a 4 cycle . I've only seen 11 and 12T for 2 but if it is for a 2 cycle and will fit a kt100 I dont really care how many teeth are on it and at that price , let me know for sure what u come up with ! I'm in and out mostly on the weekends but u will get a reply .

U are correct ! I had my son at the time when I was putting the clutch back together and on the kart and he gets into everything , I had stepped away for less than a minute to tend to him (he is 5 and wants to work on it too) so I guess this time he learned how to not put it together . I have since taken it back apart , put a new spring and retainer set with screws and a extra shim . Still haven't ran it , waiting for clutch drum to come thru but thanks for pointing that out because I had not noticed it till I read mail here yesterday .

Nine tooth is not necessarily a 4 stroke . In fact its highly doubtful . 11 tooh is typically the smallest 4 stroke driver . There are some special 9 & 10 tooth .

Been in karting for 19 years now and have never seen a clutch failure like this one in the picture...firstly, tomar, to my knowledge is no longer in business, finding parts may not be easy, secondly, whomever put this one together must not have had much experience, it is missing a floater in between the friction disc's, and very well could be missing the proper shims and thrust bearing inside as well, I can't think of anything that could cause the basket to break apart other than extremely high heat caused by all the friction on the internal parts caused by the mis-assembly....hopefully you can find all the needed parts to fix it, I'd recommend having somebody with experience to assure its done right so you won't have same trouble again.

Also, if you're running a 2 stroke WITHOUT a jackshaft, you will probably want to have a 9-10-11 and 12 tooth driver available, depending on how big a track you race on...keeping the rpms up is mandatory otherwise you will be overworking the clutch causing premature friction Disc failure...frequently...

It is a 9T drum for 35 chain....11 and 12T would lead me to believe it is 219 chain?
U would be correct . Everything that I have and have found rummaging around my parents and an uncle's out buildings is all 219 and I'd like to keep it all as it was when it was bought for me . It's a 1973 Margay Panther , 100% pristine . My mother found it at a Western Auto that was having a moving sale in 75 when I was 5 years old . It later went to a uncle who kept it from the
Been in karting for 19 years now and have never seen a clutch failure like this one in the picture...firstly, tomar, to my knowledge is no longer in business, finding parts may not be easy, secondly, whomever put this one together must not have had much experience, it is missing a floater in between the friction disc's, and very well could be missing the proper shims and thrust bearing inside as well, I can't think of anything that could cause the basket to break apart other than extremely high heat caused by all the friction on the internal parts caused by the mis-assembly....hopefully you can find all the needed parts to fix it, I'd recommend having somebody with experience to assure its done right so you won't have same trouble again.
Yes Tomar is out of business but Quartermaster apparently still sells kart clutch parts I think . With my luck I'm probably wrong . The last time the clutch was off I was in the middle of taking care of my son and he at 5 years old wants to work on stuff too so I misplaced the floater when reassembling the clutch . When I had it off I did notice some fracturing around the inner part of the drum but didn't see any towards the outter edges or the drum it's self . I guess being assembled wrong and those cracks culminated in the chunk coming out . Lesson learned .

I

I may be wrong but the 9T is going to be for a 4 cycle . I've only seen 11 and 12T for 2 but if it is for a 2 cycle and will fit a kt100 I dont really care how many teeth are on it and at that price , let me know for sure what u come up with ! I'm in and out mostly on the weekends but u will get a reply .
If you are still interested I can send pictures this afternoon.

Also, if you're running a 2 stroke WITHOUT a jackshaft, you will probably want to have a 9-10-11 and 12 tooth driver available, depending on how big a track you race on...keeping the rpms up is mandatory otherwise you will be overworking the clutch causing premature friction Disc failure...frequently...
I don't really have any plans to race the kart other than maybe up and down my concrete drive way but the driver is or was a 11T so it's my aim to find another one like it . econosprint2 has a 9T #35 but that would put me changing things that is rather not change unless held at gun point and made change .

Back