Wanting to build clones

Kartracer93

Im wanting to build clones for personal and possibly sell them, what tools or knowledge do i need to build a competitive motor, i have built some pretty mean flatheads but then again there flatheads and they are hardly ran anymore

A tech kit .
Hones and valve cutting equipment .
Porting equipment for akra .
Testing equipment.
Basic understanding of engine assembly at a minimum .

A tech kit .
Hones and valve cutting equipment .
Porting equipment for akra .
Testing equipment.
Basic understanding of engine assembly at a minimum .
if you plan on competing with the other builders 1 thing flattop forgot to add in his list is................ get ready.......... here it comes........... $$$$$$$$$$$$ lol jk i dont know just how much it would cost to set up for a shop to build and sell "competitive" motors to people that is capable of winning races to be able to make sales (lets face it who wants to buy from a builder who cant build motors that can win against other reputable builders) but my guess is that it would cost a pretty penny to set up to do it right to make a good impression to racers just my $.02. i might be wrong and if i am i will be the first to say im sorry as im not a motor builder, heck i dont even race a 196 clone class. I race a bsp sealed 212 crate motor class.

Milling machine, valve tooling, Dyno, all tech tools, leakdown gauge and all the cleaning products

Last edited:
I have always been able to move the gear on the crank to match the numbers on the card for all cams available. However I do know a Nascar guy that is seperating the lobes. I have one on the build table but not quite ready for the dyno.

Don’t forget the dyno a must for tuning and comparing and the sf60 and a great honing tool 3 we have all the rest including the crank gear twister which we feel is a must now to add the 3 angle tools is on the list at ovka I hope when I die my wife don’t sell off all my tooling for what I told her I gave for them lol remember I’m an old assembler for big Dave power

Back