wanting to build my own clone

intimidator3

Alright, I am running at a track that basically has open rules right now. The guys that are winning have 850 to 1400 motors. I cant afford that. I am wanting to build my own motor foe as cheap as possible. Any ideas on what will give me the most bang for my buck. I have done some looking around and found on arc a 14cc head for 45.00 but have been told a honda 160 head is the same thing. Is this true and if so where can I find them. I have also considered buying the stock appearing cheater kit from dover for 119 that includes an arc rod that is stock or plus 10 or plus 20 along with a plus stroke crankshaft and honda racing pistons. Does anyone know anything about this products? I have also been looking at 1 to 3 rockers and different cams and carbs. Any ideas on this topic or a general parts list and places to find them would be greatly appreciated?

I would contact Jerry Dover and tell him what your wanting and he can fill in all the blanks for you. He's a square shooter and won't steer you wrong.

Alright, I am running at a track that basically has open rules right now. The guys that are winning have 850 to 1400 motors. I cant afford that. I am wanting to build my own motor foe as cheap as possible. Any ideas on what will give me the most bang for my buck. I have done some looking around and found on arc a 14cc head for 45.00 but have been told a honda 160 head is the same thing. Is this true and if so where can I find them. I have also considered buying the stock appearing cheater kit from dover for 119 that includes an arc rod that is stock or plus 10 or plus 20 along with a plus stroke crankshaft and honda racing pistons. Does anyone know anything about this products? I have also been looking at 1 to 3 rockers and different cams and carbs. Any ideas on this topic or a general parts list and places to find them would be greatly appreciated?
where are you and this track located ?

There's going to be many different opinions. Tell us what you already have and the budget you have for the build and we can send in the right direction.

All I have is a blue clone block. I am looking to see what I can get for around 250 to 400 bucks. What items that are going to give me the most power is what I would like to spend my money on. I do have a aluminum pvl flywheel, but I couldn't tell a major difference between it and the stock flywheel. I was just wondering if I need to go with an arc flywheel or a raceseng flywheel?

I guess I shouldn't say that is all I have. I do have a chain guard and the top plate etc.... I have some stock cams and valve springs.

This is what I would suggest. This may not be the opinion of other builders.

Black mamba cam. http://smallenginecams.com 65.00
Valve train upgrade from nrracing starting at 129.00
Arc flywheel 100
Billet rod 60.00
Carb is going to be a choice of how much you want to spend. But I recommend a mikuni on methanol for a open class
As far as head goes I would purchase a 208 head instead of a 14cc. The 208 has a 27mm intake valve and 25mm valve.

I appreciate your input. Any idea on where I can get a 208 head? Should I just keep my stock crankshaft and pistons? How much of a difference in pvl flywheel and the arc flywheel ? What degree of offset timing key should I get?

Lots of ways to do it,the thing is you will need to find out what the other guys are running
this will get you were you need to be.if a true open you will spend some $$$$.
If you do a limited or small open and do it your self you will spend 450-500.00
billet rod and flywheel is a must have.Bigger valve is not always better.
flat top piston is a must a true Honda piston will work or if you like
go with the wiseco .0930 header or bigger.ratio rockers roller tip billet
or none roller or roller shaft not tip.a good carb of choice on alky.
this is just some of the stuff.

This is what I would suggest. This may not be the opinion of other builders.

Black mamba cam. http://smallenginecams.com 65.00
Valve train upgrade from nrracing starting at 129.00
Arc flywheel 100
Billet rod 60.00
Carb is going to be a choice of how much you want to spend. But I recommend a mikuni on methanol for a open class
As far as head goes I would purchase a 208 head instead of a 14cc. The 208 has a 27mm intake valve and 25mm valve.

I have only been in two 208's, but neither had bigger valves.

Is it a big track or a smaller track? Do you need a top end motor or a low end motor? I like my flat top piston and 14cc head. Really good power down low. If you have a bp cam you can run ratios on it to get more lift. Or the Black Mamba is killer from what guys say. Im going with it next season. Billet rod is a must. Measure how far in the hole your piston is and order a rod from there. I have the max stroke crank and running a standard rod length since Im around .010" in the hole from the crank. Some will be alot more in relative terms. Billet retainers and keepers. Good springs. Lay a good foundation first then expand from there. Carb is a BIG choice and probably one of the most important IMO. Look around and ask around and you will get 100 different answers. None will be bad but everyone has had different experiences with different parts.

Good luck! Building your own is not as hard as you think if you take your time and ask before doing something your not sure of. Buy two of every little part. You will need it...lol.

I appreciate your input. Any idea on where I can get a 208 head? Should I just keep my stock crankshaft and pistons? How much of a difference in pvl flywheel and the arc flywheel ? What degree of offset timing key should I get?

I'd go with a arc flywheel and I believe the new ones come already advanced. You can use the stock crank but def need a billet rod. If your running in open class, the sky is your limit as to how far you want to go. I've seen guys build some killer motors for under $500.00

I like the 14cc head for short tracks. I race a real small track as well. Run a flat top honda piston, 14cc head, billet rod and nice carb. Run alky for more tq. You can shave head as well for more compression but will require a starter probably. Im around 13.4:1 compression and still pull start mine. No head shaving.

Make sure your kart handles well and tires are good as well or youve got a sweet motor and still running last place. We run Burris SS11 tires. No preps. For the money you cant go wrong with the black mamba cam or something from NR. I want a low duration and high lift cam for next year.

What clutch you running and how heavy is you and the kart?

Open rules? Print $99 coupon from Harbor Freight for a 212 cc motor. Go to store and buy a ITEM NUMBER 60363, This has a flattop piston and bigger valves/hemi head. Mill the head, put a black mamba cam kit and .020 longer ARC billet rod and you are already making nice power and haven't spent much yet. Bigger motor should have better bottom end.

Open rules? Print $99 coupon from Harbor Freight for a 212 cc motor. Go to store and buy a ITEM NUMBER 60363, This has a flattop piston and bigger valves/hemi head. Mill the head, put a black mamba cam kit and .020 longer ARC billet rod and you are already making nice power and haven't spent much yet. Bigger motor should have better bottom end.

What he said. and ad good valve springs and a honda 390 carb. Cheap knock off on ebay for 25 buck will work and arc adapter for carb. Built one like this. 22hp and under 500 bucks.

Back