Was the Hemi predator just a temporary inventory item?

Talked to a HF guy and they confirmed what others here have said - the hemi was a temporary supply-fill and is not expected to become the replacement. They have been having too many returns related to the hemi head. He wasn't specific about what those problems were, but he was pretty clear that he'd seen internal tech bulletins saying the hemi is NOT the replacement 212.

Get em if you want 'em but don't expect to see them much longer.

If the return ratio determined the product(engine) that Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Princess Auto carries why would they still have the 196cc clone on the shelf, if you looked at how many 196 have been returned you would think they would have given up on them long ago.

Sorry Devil talking to someone in one of these stores is like getting fashion advice at Wal Mart. They have no idea what is on the floor of their store, I would not expect them to know what corporate is buying in China. These companies have buyers that are permanently stationed in foreign countries and I am sure they don't call the floor sales guy in AnyState, USA for his input.

You will see many changes in these engines in the near future, the manufacturers are now scrambling to meet EPA standards, the engines you will need for racing will have to be imported as competition only in order to skirt the rules, HF won't be importing competition only. This is the same Briggs is doing with the LO206 they do not have to meet EPA standards, Harbor Freight does have to meet the rules. Guess what HF does not import Go Kart engines, Karts are a drop in the bucket to their business.

If the return ratio determined the product(engine) that Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Princess Auto carries why would they still have the 196cc clone on the shelf, if you looked at how many 196 have been returned you would think they would have given up on them long ago.

Sorry Devil talking to someone in one of these stores is like getting fashion advice at Wal Mart. They have no idea what is on the floor of their store, I would not expect them to know what corporate is buying in China. These companies have buyers that are permanently stationed in foreign countries and I am sure they don't call the floor sales guy in AnyState, USA for his input.

You will see many changes in these engines in the near future, the manufacturers are now scrambling to meet EPA standards, the engines you will need for racing will have to be imported as competition only in order to skirt the rules, HF won't be importing competition only. This is the same Briggs is doing with the LO206 they do not have to meet EPA standards, Harbor Freight does have to meet the rules. Guess what HF does not import Go Kart engines, Karts are a drop in the bucket to their business.

I don't know. If a guy who doesn't really care whether I am using his store's engine for a cement mixer or a kart tells me his corporate tech bulletin is suggesting the hemi-heads are temporary, who am I to judge. Sounds like their days are numbered - regardless of EPA regs.

Honestly, I don't really care, I was just trying to figure which way to go with a build - all these suppliers have parts for both engines and I was curious which would have the most aftermarket and which were evolutionary dead-ends. I ordered on from corporate and I got the "regular 212". I'm building it up and basically ignoring that hemi head.

No big deal...

the reason for hemi heads on cars was to be able run run bigger valves. The cc's look like they are alot more so is there really an advantage? I thonk those rockers would be good for alot of rpm. My thoughts

well ive been on the phone with many people today regarding these and found out these are NOT being discontinued... there is so many old stock motors in warehouses all over the country and they claim that there is no differce between the old and the hemi (which we all know there is) so when stocking stores they just grab from warehouse and with the old style still being made is gonna be more old stock than hemi predators for a while... i called 7 stores and all had old style predators but 1 store... they HAD 11 hemi engines and 9 old style predator.. so its basically a gamble if your local hf is gonna have 10 or 0 just dont know unless u find out when there truck comes in and go weekly to see for yourself.
Brings back memories of the Central Machine, Blue Max and the Greyhound. I have looked for several months without any luck so why would anybody want to buy and invest in building something that's either here or not.
I still have a couple Stock motors but was going to build a Mod or open from a Preditor but with no success in finding one I bought 2 Animal motors to build. Not a lot of difference in the cost of the build but it's just the fact that I can find the parts when I need them. Care to compare apples to oranges, theres no comparison.
We will still run the stock class with the clones but my moneys going in the animal in an open.
JMO. At least I won't have to buy a generator to have one.

Brings back memories of the Central Machine, Blue Max and the Greyhound. I have looked for several months without any luck so why would anybody want to buy and invest in building something that's either here or not.
I still have a couple Stock motors but was going to build a Mod or open from a Preditor but with no success in finding one I bought 2 Animal motors to build. Not a lot of difference in the cost of the build but it's just the fact that I can find the parts when I need them. Care to compare apples to oranges, theres no comparison.
We will still run the stock class with the clones but my moneys going in the animal in an open.
JMO. At least I won't have to buy a generator to have one.

Shoot - maybe its regional. I don't cross paths with any animals and my travels online dont see 'em much either. I like the idea of this solid, easy to maintain, simple American made motor but it sounds like Pepsi vs. Coke to me. I'll buy a clone and have fun building. BAM!

Back