water pump leak - 01' CR250

Hobby87

posed this same question in the 2cyle tab, but thought i'd carry it over, just in case... I got to work on my CR250 yesterday and noticed I slow drip of coolant out the weep hole on the water pump. The kart has sat since Nov with redline moto coolant in it, it didn't start leaking until I got to messing around yesterday (or that i've noticed). Should I have the pump rebuilt? It doesn't appear that the coolant gelled up, so just curious on my course of action? should I be concerned?

Thanks, Matt

This is very common on most CR models , I also ran into ( still have ) this problem on my sons CR125 dirt bike. I personally wouldn't worry about it. Most of the time the leak goes away when it gets some heat into it and reappears when it gets cold again.
Many articles on this on some dirt bike forums and 99% of the people just ignore it , if the drip bothers you just put a diaper on it until ready to go.

hmm, that's interesting, every little article I found said, replace seals/gaskets asap! I figured I could check the fluid between races, and replace when ready/needed, but didn't want to run it out and lock up the top end. my only concern now is catching the fuild because I hate wasting $25 worth of fluid!!

-Matt

Ours barely leaks , it has sat for months and you can look in the radiator and fluid level does not go down ; well technicaly if it leaks it goes down I know but not enough to see it with the naked eye. You would have to loose an awful lot of coolant to have it be an issue. It is leaking by the seal on the pump and dripping out the hole , now if that hole was not there then it could force coolant into the gearbox or visa versa. Coolant can not get into the gearbox since there is another seal on that side. I am guessing once you run it and build heat and some pressure in the cooling system that the leak goes away.

IMHO if it doesn't leak when the motor is running....I don't worry about it. If you do replace the seal, also check the water pump shaft to make sure the mating surface to the seal is not damaged.

Back