WD40 for softening tires?

joler1302

I run in a class were everyone has 1 brand tire to run, and we have some tires that have lied for awhile, so they've gone hard, but i heard that i could soften them up with some wd40?

I run in a class were everyone has 1 brand tire to run, and we have some tires that have lied for awhile, so they've gone hard, but i heard that i could soften them up with some wd40?

WD-40 will soften some just from putting oils back into the tire. Really depends on what youre trying to accomplish on whether to go this route or to use a brand name prep line. WD-40 is cheap, and it does have a time and place though.

WD-40 will soften some just from putting oils back into the tire. Really depends on what youre trying to accomplish on whether to go this route or to use a brand name prep line. WD-40 is cheap, and it does have a time and place though.
We don't want super soft or anything, but the tire has gone hard over time, and we heard that using wd40 on it would work, sounds like you are saying the same thing. We don't wanna spend money on preps, we're from Denmark.

But how do we proceed with this? I heard give the tires a few coats of wd40 and then wrap in plastic? And how long before race?

After racing I wash my tires with a scouring pad. After they dry I spray liberal amount of WD-40 on them. I don't bother wrapping them since my tires get used again pretty quickly. If you are going to wrap them let them dry completely before you do. WD-40 will leave a nice "grippy" feeling tire ready to be prepped and run.

May not be the best approach but works for me so far ;)

DD

After racing I wash my tires with a scouring pad. After they dry I spray liberal amount of WD-40 on them. I don't bother wrapping them since my tires get used again pretty quickly. If you are going to wrap them let them dry completely before you do. WD-40 will leave a nice "grippy" feeling tire ready to be prepped and run.

May not be the best approach but works for me so far ;)

DD

yes sir.....this is a good way. I think you may need new tires with the right compound...

WD-40 will not soften a tire, if it does maybe just maybe a 1/4 on the duro. Go buy some prep like goat or BTGP from Trac-Tac. WD-40 is a good conditioner to put oil back in the tire...JMO...

Wet your kart tires down with WD40, then set it on the garage floor overnight.
The next morning go in and pick up one end of your kart. :)

Softening is pretty easy..

Zylene or Actone , diesel fuel. ATF with stop leak

1/2 gal of Zylene or Actone
1/2 gal Diesel
approx 16oz Trans Stop Leak

Once you get them where you want them.. Maintain wit the WD40
WD40 revitlizes the rubber and works very very well on Burris as a prep

This is just a basic mix..Yeah they may be something better.. But at what cost?

Back