Weight difference between big pipe chassis and small

Max26

My 6 year old son just started racing with a 79cc preditor engine... we have a 2015 ultramax big pipe chassis. The weight rule is #225 ... Cart and driver are a combined weight of #265 l, 40lbs over weight. No lead in kart, asphalt oval, son is 55lbs, trying to make plans for next year and want to be closer to the weight limit. 40lbs is a lot of extra weigh! Thinking of getting small tube chassis and was wondering the weight difference between big pipe and small pipe chassis. Kart also has rocker cage on it..

Last edited:
The cage may wiegh more then the frame .
The other racers are coming in at or near weight ? .

Last edited:
Wow that cage must be heavy! My son is 55lbs and rides a Prowler, we have TONS of lead on it just to hit 275lbs. I think his kart in race trim with no lead is 140#.

call u-max or start removing things till you find what is so heavy .
solid steel nerfs lead filled bumper or frame . the cage.
our big tube triton can't weigh more than 165 , with a +200lb driver we had to add weight to make 400.

I will have to weigh the cage... just using numbers 165lbs cart 55lbs driver 45lb cage =265 I will have to weigh the cage.... thanks

If it has a wing and all the mounting stuff starts to add up, mychron and mounts. I've got a homemade wing and I would say it lighter than a factory wing by 4-5lbs. Its probably a year use and replace piece as it will start cracking.

225 for a cage kart is pretty low, i'm not sure how anyone could get close to that without a lot of money thrown at every nut and bolt. Our beginner class is 235 and we roll across 245-250 driver is about 50-55 pds.

Just adding up your numbers, 210 pounds, kart and Cage, why is your kart so much heavier than everybody else's?
210 pound kart and cage, 55 pound driver = 265. 40 pounds over. Is your driver that much heavier than his competitors? Have you ever compared the weight of his kart against others in his class? I wonder how the save 40 pounds?
Big tube small tube, makes me wonder, 55 pound driver, Junior, 180 pound driver, senior, same kart, how would that affect handling? Smaller tube frame, not only lighter, but maybe better, considering the weight of the driver.
I'll bet with a little searching on the net, you could find the weight of different tubes. Wall thickness and diameters. Remember, tube stiffness squares with the increase in diameter, but is only linear with the difference in tube wall thickness.

Back