Weight grace rule

bullerman

Run Box Stock with a 350lb weight limit but track let's them be 5 lbs. Light. What argument can I make against this. Track owner says 5lb won't make a difference but I don't agree. We have very little horsepower to start with. I think every pound will make a difference.

Here is my thing. Weight is 350 not 345. So keep karts at 350 or above. If you are 349 you are DQ. Thats as simple as it should be. I have ran a 355 kart in 300 and ran top 3 for many races with competitive lcoal racers. I think if you have tires down and stuff wieght doesnt make as big of a difference as you would think. Now 400 vs 300 of course that isnt fair but I dont think being 5 pounds light is gonna win you a race and put kart lengths on the other kart. Every pound counts though. I agree that every pound makes a difference but I have ran a kart 50 pounds heavy since I like to run multiple classes a night and I am still competive in the class 300 pounds lower than me and some people are legit at 300 pounds all togethor.

Things in life stop making sense when things arent in black and white. Mainly because it leads to other allowances. Call the track owner out on this. If he changes his view thats at least some rules foundation to go forward with. If not, stop going there. unless youre suddenly saying its ok, too. Then you are part of the problem too.

Honestly I hate when I see things like this ebcause like mike mentioned it is gonna lead to other things being allowed or not fully inforced. A rule is a rule. Thats like running a clone and when they check lift being like if it is .05 higher lift thats fine. I agree with Mike. Take it to the promotor or track owner and voice your issue with it. Maybe more people will aswell. I think this is the beginign of something horrible for the track so if I was you try and get this rule gone.

I am going to approach him about it next race. If it is 350 you should weight 350 or more. I may loose the point of it but I am not going to agree with.

Personally, if he failed to acknowledge the problem, I would get my money back and go home. Right is right, Staying and racing would say its ok what youve done.

So how many of his drinking buddies are cheating weight? I would find a track that understands the definition of rules

The point of rules (in racing) is to establish a basis for fair comparison of results. We wouldn't run an indycar or dragster in a sprint car race, though all are open wheeled vehicles. The point of a line is to compare against. If the line isn't held, there isn't a point to it. Ask him if he'd be okay with you paying 25 of the 30 entry fee....it's only 5 dollars, which won't kill anyone.

Will he DQ someone for 344? If so, your class weight is 345, not 350 then.
Seems accurate. I'm struggling to understand what people's problem is with the track saying they allow a 5# variance in the weight. I view it as a tolerance, just like engine specs, that have a plus or minus. In this case the track says 350#'s + any amount / -5#'s.

Why does the track allow this? I don't know but would guess that the variance with scales (this track vs other tracks vs home scales) would cause some grief for some of the racers so they put in this rule.

350 is 350 and a rule is a rule. At 349 you should be disqualified. The track should also allow karts ample time to check weight at the beginning of the race day (after first practice?) that way if there is a variance with the track scale vs home scales the driver can adjust. Honestly, what competitive racer shows up to the track without a chunk or 2 of lead in their trailer?

Personally, I don't believe 5lbs makes a difference. I feel more comfortable running 5lbs over anyway incase I tear off a side panel during a race I know I will still make post race weight.

Seems accurate. I'm struggling to understand what people's problem is with the track saying they allow a 5# variance in the weight. I view it as a tolerance, just like engine specs, that have a plus or minus. In this case the track says 350#'s + any amount / -5#'s.

Why does the track allow this? I don't know but would guess that the variance with scales (this track vs other tracks vs home scales) would cause some grief for some of the racers so they put in this rule.
Racers responsibility to weigh their kart at the track, those scales are the ones that matter, no different than having your fuel checked or for the OTB predator having their RPM checked.
Rule is 350, 349 tossed

Why does everyone keep commenting the rule is 350 and insist that anything under is a DQ? Per the original poster that is not the rule at this track. The original poster says the track allows 5 pounds under. If they follow that policy for all racers and are consistent I don't see the issue.

This rule is not consistent with any other track I've been to but it certainly would not be an issue for me.

Why does everyone keep commenting the rule is 350 and insist that anything under is a DQ? Per the original poster that is not the rule at this track. The original poster says the track allows 5 pounds under. If they follow that policy for all racers and are consistent I don't see the issue.

This rule is not consistent with any other track I've been to but it certainly would not be an issue for me.
I understand what you are saying, but he said it "Box Stock with a 350lb weight limit". In reality the track should call it a 345lb minimum and be done with it. In my opinion it sounds like poor track management in regards to rules. Grey areas in the rule book is a can of worms.

Well, I lost a National Championship many moons ago because I weighed in right at 6oz underweight. I wish there would have been a vague/flexible weight limit at that time, but who knows... I was cutting it close, and if there had been a "5 pound fudge factor", I would have just cut it close to that new number, most likely.

A rule is a rule -- if it's 350 and they will fudge it 5, then the class should be called 345. (IMO).

PM

If the owner insist on this rule after it being brought to his attention someone always weighing less taking advantage of the rule, that's the same as only having a 345 lb weight rule, he should keep the grace rule BUT each racer only gets 2 chances to a pass on the rule per season.

Back