Weight grace rule

reality is the owner of the track gets to enforce/make up whatever rule they see fit regardless of whatever the racer wants or thinks is fair. i could see it both ways and i feel for people changing 25 lbs of lead to race two classes . Owning a track and keeping it open for karters is no easy task and not a whole lot of money to be made. If it was a nice facility i would more than likely keep my mouth shut if it was a dump just don't go. Seen a whole mess of awesome tracks gone in the past few years. owner is more than likely trying their best to get people to his track. i.ve been beat by racers 5lbs over all the time

^^^ .
It is a fact that running the track is hard work . As stated be glad you have a track too race .
If you are at 365 # or more it don't matter anyway .
The rule says a grace of 5#'s .

To me, "fudging" makes no sense, and is doing a disservice to the concept of having a spec, or a rule.

Where does it stop? How about cam lift? How about fuel? What if I only have half a percent of propylene oxide in my fuel?... does that get by the "fudge factor" ? What about an intake restrictor.... "it's ONLY .001" over, isn't there a fudge factor?"

ad nauseum.

:):)
PM

So the weight limit is 350 lbs, and the track owner’s reasoning is 5 lbs can’t make a difference, so he will allow 345 lbs. My question is why not 344 lbs? If 5 lbs can’t make a difference surely one extra pound can’t either, right? Goes to show you that mentality is ridiculous, and is fundamentally and logically flawed. Rules like this have to be concrete and enforced. Why not an extra 0.005” of valve lift or an extra 1° of duration, how about a few extra RPMs? Before you know it the rule set is just a suggestion. Rules have to be rules.

A track not being consistent and bending the rules is the #1 reason to not race at the track.

A track which is consistent and does not have a lot of tech is usually a fun track to race at and the racers there understand the place and appreciate it's consistency.

Bending or ignoring a weight rule at weight is never any good.

5 pounds....

I bet if you could run. Run to your mailbox and back.

Now, put 5 pound SHOES on and do it.

Ok this time hold the weight in your hands

Last time. If your still alive. Hold it over your head and do it.

5 pounds, makes a difference and where you bolt it down, does too.

Totally get it. Nothing worse than winning because of better driving, engine and tires then getting tossed on some tiny technicality. You just got beat son, looking for a couple little pounds at the scale is a chicken little move.
So throw out the rules?
If 350 is the rule you should weigh 350 on the tracks scales, your program isn't as good as you think it is.
Nothing better than winning and adhering to all the rules, just not the ones you see fit

If the class is 350 it's 350. The person who is at 345 actually my have an advantage by adding weight to improve the kart handling.

I've seen people warned for being a pound or 2 light after a heat race and dq'ed after that if weight is not correct. No grey area

If the class is 350 it's 350.
Agreed 100%. If the track rules state a minimum of 350 pounds and you roll across the scales at anything less than 350 pounds it should result in a DQ.

If the tracks rules say 350 pounds with a tolerance of -5 pounds / plus any amount then you are legal to roll across the at anything equal to or greater than 345 pounds.

This may be different than anything you have ever seen regarding weight classes. That does not mean the track should be boycotted or someone is cheating the system.

Agreed 100%. If the track rules state a minimum of 350 pounds and you roll across the scales at anything less than 350 pounds it should result in a DQ.

If the tracks rules say 350 pounds with a tolerance of -5 pounds / plus any amount then you are legal to roll across the at anything equal to or greater than 345 pounds.

This may be different than anything you have ever seen regarding weight classes. That does not mean the track should be boycotted or someone is cheating the system.
Good point, if the track allows it then so be it! We have a track here in FL that runs AKRA but their MIN weights in the kids classes are 25lbs lighter than any other track. Normal Jr3 weight is 325 and there we only have to be 300lbs. Its solely up to the tracks discretion.

Good point, if the track allows it then so be it! We have a track here in FL that runs AKRA but their MIN weights in the kids classes are 25lbs lighter than any other track. Normal Jr3 weight is 325 and there we only have to be 300lbs. Its solely up to the tracks discretion.
good for that track, i always feel sorry for poor dad's back picking up these Jr karts with way to much lead bolted all over the thing. plus lead ain't cheap

There were moments I felt for the other dad's back in the day till I looked at my son playing in the dirt with his competition between races and noticed he was at least a head taller and 50lbs heavier lol. He wasn't fat just big and now at 27 is over 6ft6 275lbs.

Oh the races we could have won if he was not at least 50lbs over class weight minimum lol

Totally get it. Nothing worse than winning because of better driving, engine and tires then getting tossed on some tiny technicality. You just got beat son, looking for a couple little pounds at the scale is a chicken little move.
It was 16 pounds in my books. For a box stock motor that is a lot in my books. If I get out run that's fine but I want to be fairly outrun.

If the weight is 350 with 345 grace, then run at 345 as well. If they're allowing it then it's legal and "fair." Cause anyone can do it apparently. If everyone drops to 345, are they going to change the rule then? That's the real question. Force their hand, get everyone to drop to the minimum and see if they do anything, if not enjoy your new weight.

Minimum weight is minimum weight. I saw a jr3 driver dq’d in a $1500 to win race over 1 lb. Class was 320 and he went across three times at 319.
Personally, I try to keep my jr2 and jr3 karts about 3-4 lbs over minimum.

Back