Weight mounting idea

Not exactly what you are asking for, but this idea worked well recently.

We used flat bar , 1/4" x 2, and bolted four 1/2" conduit hangers to it, the conduit loop fits right over the bumper bars and snaps in place. Works really well to extend a mounting place across the front of the kart. Conduit hangers are pretty tough as well.

I will say use lead weights only. that large 10lb plate sounds like a death trap. Imagine that thing coming loose and cartwheeling under your kart...or hitting the driver behind you. Grade 8, 5/16"-18 bolts and nylon nuts with 'large fender' washers are also nice to have.

Not exactly what you are asking for, but this idea worked well recently.

We used flat bar , 1/4" x 2, and bolted four 1/2" conduit hangers to it, the conduit loop fits right over the bumper bars and snaps in place. Works really well to extend a mounting place across the front of the kart. Conduit hangers are pretty tough as well.

I will say use lead weights only. that large 10lb plate sounds like a death trap. Imagine that thing coming loose and cartwheeling under your kart...or hitting the driver behind you. Grade 8, 5/16"-18 bolts and nylon nuts with 'large fender' washers are also nice to have.
Don't put any weight in front of the front axle or in back of the rear axle. None.

Don't put any weight in front of the front axle or in back of the rear axle. None.
Is there a rule against this. I would say you would be hard pressed to find a kart that doesnt have some weight in front of the front axle around here. Most of the time its bolted to the floor of a kart body.

Is there a rule against this. I would say you would be hard pressed to find a kart that doesn't have some weight in front of the front axle around here. Most of the time its bolted to the floor of a kart body.
No, that is a performance recommendation, necessity. Weight at the extremities makes the kart not want to change direction. Think of a baton, put just 1 pound of weight in each end and move it back and forth. Then mount the weight in the center right next to your hand and observe the difference. Or think of an old Cadillac or Lincoln with a load of bricks on the trunk. I am not saying to place weight at the expense of ignoring your target numbers but you want to place as much of the needed weight as close to the center of the kart as possible and never outside the axles.

No, that is a performance recommendation, necessity. Weight at the extremities makes the kart not want to change direction. Think of a baton, put just 1 pound of weight in each end and move it back and forth. Then mount the weight in the center right next to your hand and observe the difference. Or think of an old Cadillac or Lincoln with a load of bricks on the trunk. I am not saying to place weight at the expense of ignoring your target numbers but you want to place as much of the needed weight as close to the center of the kart as possible and never outside the axles.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I would say that most of the weight I see is inside the wheelbase.

Back