Weight without driver

Twice what they should, and 50% more than required to develop a hernia.

Probably 200# would be a good guess...

I’ve been told 300# I can’t wrap my head around how that is possible with an engine that weighs 35 more than a clone, I get the fact that you add a radiator, wedge body. But 300#

Rules state ohc 450 - 500 cc 4 stroke capped at 430# minimum.

Subtract driver weight for absolute minimum kart can weigh.

Last edited:
Rules state ohc 450 - 500 cc capped at 430# minimum.

Subtract driver weight for absolute minimum kart can weigh.
That allows for the bigger guys to be able to join in the fun...my kart race ready weighs about 170 with no lead, so a guy as much as 260 can play and be competitive...

Thanks I know the minimum with driver looking for a true number without. 200-230 is what I was thinking.
In years past, there has been discussions about making a maximum weight for kart, or kart and driver, to help prevent injuries and damages from racing vehicles with dramatic weight differences.

Several discussions, not only in uas, but even in clone classes.

450, especially modified, likely not able to use all the power at capped minimum.

YMMV

Last edited:
Raced against a guy last night who has a 500cc buell motorcycle engine on his kart, he told me with him in the kart right at about 500lbs total, I'd guess he weighs maybe 200, so a 300lb kart w/o driver with no extra ballast anywhere, can't tell you what brand/model of kart...🤠

i have one 500cc kart that i scaled out at 475lbs and i weigh 170 with no ballast added does have the trans intact, still trying to figure how to lose weight without sacrificing the handling

i will preface this by saying i've never been to or read the rulas for UAS. But man all that weight seems counterproductive... How much power difference between something thats 100cc less? how much weight can you cut off with a 350-400cc motor? Maybe the tracks are big enough back east that its not as big of a deal but all the slick bull rings around here you would be out to lunch giving up all that weight

i have one 500cc kart that i scaled out at 475lbs and i weigh 170 with no ballast added does have the trans intact, still trying to figure how to lose weight without sacrificing the handling
On the flip side of the coin you are sacrificing handling by having a boat anchor (if it’s a 4 stroke and not a 500 smoker but even the CR500 is pretty heavy) on the RR providing we’re not talking about a cage kart.

i will preface this by saying i've never been to or read the rulas for UAS. But man all that weight seems counterproductive... How much power difference between something thats 100cc less? how much weight can you cut off with a 350-400cc motor? Maybe the tracks are big enough back east that its not as big of a deal but all the slick bull rings around here you would be out to lunch giving up all that weight
It depends. If we’re talking built 450’s and JAWA’s, a reasonable number for those is 65-70HP. Minimum weight for those is around 410-450 depending on how big they’ve been built. Go to the 250F program and your minimum weight rule is anywhere between 330-350 again depending on how much you’ve bored and stroked it and you’re making a healthy 45-50 HP. So the weight drop and advantage is significant if you can have a light driver. The same goes for two strokes but since the trannyless 250 smoker is still significantly lighter than a jackshafted 450, the HP to weight ratio is much higher than the big 4 stroke bike engines because they’re making about the same HP and the 250 two stroke weighs way less. Then you have the smaller two strokes like the BRC, sudams, reedjets that are 150cc or less making the same 35-55 HP that the 250F’s are and they’re half the weight also. You are right in your thinking though. On a small track where the big heavy karts are struggling to handle, a smaller engine that can enjoy the weight break with good tires and a light driver will kill everyone with corner speed alone. Seay and their BRC program is proof of it and they’re smoking everyone even on big tracks because of that light weight and an excellent chassis/tire program.

Raced last weekend indoors on a tight small oval, guy that won smoked us with a 2stroke reedjet, I think his TOTAL weight was like 310...Im at 400 with a stroker animal....

Back