Welding heads

Sanders

I know the preferred method is tig. But has anyone mig or stick welded a head? I have access to both and can get the rods or wire that's needed. Thanks

Stick welding aluminum is pretty rough.
With high heat input.
Mig would be cleaner.
With more deposit per joule of heat input.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time or parts if you have never done this before and don't have a TIG. Cast is very hard to weld correctly and requires 100% ARGON shielding gas, pre-heating and good TIG machine and even then you'll find it challenging.

MIG spool guns work on stock and good alloys but not on junk chinese cast pieces...

I've welded up a hemi head into a D-shaped chamber and it was a pita. First off, I used propane to pre-heat the casting, and it sweated out all kinds of oil and moisture. I ended up pre-heating and cleaning it several times to get it "clean". Then I used a carbide burr to grind away the cast surface in the area I was going to weld. Then I would lay a bead with the TIG, grind it back about 1/3rd to eliminate the bubbles along the edge of the weld, and then lay the next bead. Then I ground the combustion chamber to the shape I wanted and uncovered a couple bubbles, which I ground out and welded up again. It turned out beautiful, but I must have 6-8 hours into the thing.

Ha guys,
We can solve all your welding problems. Stout Racing and Gage Motorsports have developed a new head head that we can CNC machine you chamber design and valve seats for you. Call today and get a price, ( saves time and money ).

Lewis Stout
423-584-6663
43-715-3897

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time or parts if you have never done this before and don't have a TIG. Cast is very hard to weld correctly and requires 100% ARGON shielding gas, pre-heating and good TIG machine and even then you'll find it challenging.

MIG spool guns work on stock and good alloys but not on junk chinese cast pieces...

Agreed! Lots of practice is the only way to get good at it.
I've had good luck TIG-ing with helium gas on cast aluminum as well.
Clean well with stainless steel brush.
Pre-heating helps for sure.
If it's a used head, be sure to turn the cleaning agent up on your welder as there's LOTS of impurities in cast (particularly a piece that's been run.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Free Air Head?

Ha guys,
We can solve all your welding problems. Stout Racing and Gage Motorsports have developed a new head head that we can CNC machine you chamber design and valve seats for you. Call today and get a price, ( saves time and money ).

Lewis Stout
423-584-6663
43-715-3897

===================================

Lewis, How expensive is it to Reproduce a Similar Size, Free Air, 2 Stroke Head like this Skidoo 340 Blizzard? Just be close to Height, Width, Lenght. Spark Plug Angle. Fins could be Wider if needed for Machining. Blizzard Free Airs came in 246(69mm) Bore, 292(75mm) Bore, and 340(78mm) Bore. All 247 to 340's used a (4) Bolt Pattern based on a 100mm Bolt Circle. I don't have one to Measure yet, but approximately 7" x 7" x 2.75".

Attachments

• 71 BLIZZARD 340 3.jpg
    71 BLIZZARD 340 3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 71 BLIZZARD 340 2.jpg
    71 BLIZZARD 340 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 71 BLIZZARD 340 1.jpg
    71 BLIZZARD 340 1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 32
I cleaned up a Loncin 212 hemi head and had it welded at a shop in town with a spool gun.
They did a decent job.
I draw filed it by hand and shaped the new chamber also by hand with a dremel tool.
No issues but I never used the head after all that work.
I lost interest.

Some are making this to difficult. Ive welded a few now. Clean,wire brush on die grinder or drill,heat with tig til contaminates surface,wire brush and weld. The last one i welded was two years ran and it welded fine. I would rather fill with weld than mill off to leave clearance but still have increased compression. And it takes an hour or so.

When it comes to welding up the hemi's does the benefit of compression / better squish outweigh the valve shrouding that i see in pictures of heavily filled chambers? At some point i want to try it just want to know where the improvement is . Thanks.

Back