Welding KT100S head

Seems like I remembered that they made a filler rod for cast aluminum.

More important, if it's a used head, and you're doing the combustion chamber, the head needs to be put in an ultrasonic cleaning tank for a long period of time. You got to get that oil out of it. You may not see it, but it's there.

The very skilled aluminum welders that I have watched weld up things that have been exposed to oil will preheat the part, and then run the TIG torch back and forth over the area they plan to weld... "not quite" melting the aluminum. This will cause contaminants to "bubble up" to the surface, which can then be wire brushed and cleaned with acetone. They will often do this a number of times until most of the garbage has been "boiled out" that is near the surface. Only then will they begin welding.

I've got a tillotson alky carb that one of the bolt hole tabs broke off, surely it's cast aluminum, anyone know of anyone they can recommend who would do the job properly of repairing it for me? Thx!

There should be a boat repair/weld shop in your area . I had a cajun weld on my Bsa he did a super good job .
Another place I took something the sign said ,,, we charge 80$ an hour are you sure it's worth it . Years back . Still holds true . It was .
Maybe Al Nunley's guy Tab .

I'd be tempted to machine out a pocket and make a head insert that threads back in... Easy experimentation after that. Of course it would no longer be WKA-legal, if that matters.

Don't try to weld the new style KT100 head, can't be done and you will completely ruin it. Think of an aluminum sponge that just crumbles when you heat it and no amount of filler will keep up with the collapsing metal.

Sundog

Don't try to weld the new style KT100 head, can't be done and you will completely ruin it. Think of an aluminum sponge that just crumbles when you heat it and no amount of filler will keep up with the collapsing metal.

Sundog
I have one , with a fin crack that's encroaching on the sealing surface .
I was just about to try welding .
Looks like a new plan is in order .

Interesting observation . I picked it up as a parts engine , though I believe some or all anti vibration rubbers are missing . Thanks for the Tip .

Back