Wet, sandy, muddy track and 4 wheel slide?

1fasttiller

What is your first fix for a 4 wheel slide on a wet, southeastern track with no bite? They just put down some new "Clay" which wasn't clay at all lol. We were off all night, and the slowest we had been all year here in Jr2. I just couldn't seem to get into the track at all. Tires were fairly fresh Vega Yellows punching ~35. Tires have tons of bite and were worked all week as always. Trackside I was using SQS since it was very cool.

06 Prowler
Numbers are as follows:
Front- 47
Left - 54.5
Cross- 60-62
Total weight-290lbs

He's second in points and we have one last race to go! need some pointers!

How much internal ?
What air pressures? How's that compare to before clay ( dirt ) was added ?
Did you hit your RPM ? How did gearing compare to before clay added ?
Is it open tire rule ?

Looking at my notes, tires were new and rolled by my tire guy back at the end of August so I'm thinking I just found my own problem... he suggested re-rolling inside of 60 days....

air pressure was at 4psi Rights and 3 psi lefts which is the norm for this kart on this track. I went as low as 2.5psi and 3.5psi with no change, was afraid to go any lower.

RPM's were normal all evening, 5900-6100rpm

Did not change gearing- 16/63 is what we've ran 95% of the year here.

Yes it is open tire for regular points races, this same track often runs Vega sponsored races as well.

My guess is slow down and raise the back of your seat up a little.

... along with what others suggest for your tires

My guess is slow down and raise the back of your seat up a little.

... along with what others suggest for your tires
Paul- he slowed down alright.... went from 3rd to 5th and would've lost more had the checkered not come out. Worst finish of the season for him here.

Paul- he slowed down alright.... went from 3rd to 5th and would've lost more had the checkered not come out. Worst finish of the season for him here.

Just for discussion the only true fact you'll find when a track slicks up and you get a four wheel drift is your going slower and there are less on track forces available to operate your chassis.

You will slow down and the four wheel drift is because if you try to keep your current speed and setup you will first loose function from the left side tires and then the already over taxed right side tiries fail you.

Again thanks for the discussion and this is not telling you what to do but only conversation and my opinion.

I suggest raising the back of the seat up to do two things. First it will automatically get weight moved forward which you may need but is not getting there because your simply going slower. The second thing is raising it up in my opinion will get your more leverage to operate your reduced performance chassis.

Over all the slowing down lets you get some function back from your left side tires and raising the seat will both get weight forward and make it easier for your chassis to operate. He went from 3rd to 5th not because what I suggested didn't work or wouldn't help. He went from 3rd to 5th because he lost all grip from the left side tires and in turn the right side tires could not carry the total load. maybe???? all just conversation and opinion

The only thing you can take to the band in what I wrote is when the track slows down you loose some ability to use on track forces to operate your chassis and SOMEHOW have to make it easier for your chassis to operate. ... and again take it to the bank maybe. .... :)

Those karts which put you from 3rd to 5th and back did not become all of a sudden faster. They did slow down the same as you but they did not slow AS MUCH AS YOU.

Move 5lbs to the right.
Reduce cross.
lol funny you mention moving lead... we were way over on weight at this track (min is 270 and we were at 300) so I pulled 10lbs off the left side of the seat. but added two washers of cross. so it looks like I did the opposite of what I should have.... I've never fought a handling issue like this. I've always had a push or just plain loose.

So the scale numbers you show above are now after pulling 10 lb off left side and adding cross ?
Or they were the numbers going into the race before adjustments ?
Tires were worked all week as normal ? you had to work them all week before new clay / dirt was added and it was not near as moist ?

Back