What’s the best kart on a budget

Matth.we

I’m wanting to get into kart racing. Been thinking about it since I rebuilt a go kart for fun but had to sell it. I’m wanting to get into racing but have no clue where to start. I’m in California. Thanks in advance for information.

Cheap vs competitive will be a trade-off in most cases.
You might try to find an older PRC Phenom or Triton -- VERY good karts in their day and still have good speed on most dirt track surfaces.

If you're looking for cheaper yet, you'll be looking at lesser adjustable chassis (Banshee and Stalker for instance.) You will most likely want an offset chassis designed for oval racing. Sprint chassis are straight up and have different seat mounts. FWIW, "Sprint" in the context of the karting world refers to chassis intended to run on road courses and have absolutely nothing to do with "sprint cars" or "outlaws."

As far as how much you will need to spend, it's really all in how serious you want/need to get at your local track.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You might try to find an older PRC Phenom or Triton -- VERY good karts in their day and still have good speed on most dirt track surfaces.

If you're looking for cheaper yet, you'll be looking at lesser adjustable chassis (Banshee and Stalker for instance.) You will most likely want an offset chassis designed for oval racing. Sprint chassis are straight up and have different seat mounts. FWIW, "Sprint" in the context of the karting world refers to chassis intended to run on road courses and have absolutely nothing to do with "sprint cars" or "outlaws."

As far as how much you will need to spend, it's really all in how serious you want/need to get at your local track.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
I know my local track does outlaw karts and I have a few friends that race them. But I’m not sure if I want to do outlaw karts or just an oval kart. I’m leaning towards an outlaw cart because you can find a used chassis for relatively cheap.

I know my local track does outlaw karts and I have a few friends that race them. But I’m not sure if I want to do outlaw karts or just an oval kart. I’m leaning towards an outlaw cart because you can find a used chassis for relatively cheap.
Best bet is to go to your local track that you want to run and find a kart for sale that is already setup for that track. You'll save yourself a lot of headache and hassle this way.

Like most said, an older kart wont be competitive as a newer one, I see people that wants to get into racing, go out and buy these old karts because they cheap, and then when they run with the " GOOD" karts they get discouraged and want to quit racing. Like the old saying, IT DONT COST ALOT TO RACE, BUT IT COST ALOT TO WIN.

If you are serious about going racing you might want to consider a whole used kart operation sellout. You will find that needed kart tools and spare parts could cost you more than the kart alone does.
I’m looking into outlaw karts, seems to be the one thing I can find as a hole kart sell out with guys wanting to move up to 600 micro sprint cars. Looking like anywhere from 5-10k. But most are rollers, which wouldn’t be a bad starting point

I’m wanting to get into kart racing. Been thinking about it since I rebuilt a go kart for fun but had to sell it. I’m wanting to get into racing but have no clue where to start. I’m in California. Thanks in advance for information.
Get a used go kart in good condition decent price, get used tires if no holes and used rims not bent, be aware of gouchers when you buy parts

As many stated go to your local track...it is your best bet, make some friends, see what its all about and maybe find a kart for sale or better yet as Mike said get a whole operation. It will include all the tools you will need like tires and wheels, tire tools, special kart tools, lead, tire prep, a kart, maybe an engine or 2. Buyouts are simply one of the best things you can do to start karting if you want to be at a somewhat competitive level. Then since you wont have to worry about buying a bunch of stuff since it comes in the buyout then you can focus on tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Competitive being the key word here .. it will soon take over the mindset of just having fun lol

Back