What can be done to a true box stock to improve power

Bubba08

So I was at a track a couple weeks ago running a big money race in alot of classes including the predator box stock classes.There was some big name national drivers running the predator classes and their motors didn't even sound the same as those running mid pack and you could clearly tell those engines were not true box stock but looked stock.Track has 5500 rpm rule with governor hook up and a claim of $160 I believe.So what can truly be done to pick up power???

So I was at a track a couple weeks ago running a big money race in alot of classes including the predator box stock classes.There was some big name national drivers running the predator classes and their motors didn't even sound the same as those running mid pack and you could clearly tell those engines were not true box stock but looked stock.Track has 5500 rpm rule with governor hook up and a claim of $160 I believe.So what can truly be done to pick up power???
Claim one of the engines!! Seems to me, $60 is a cheap premium to pay for a winning engine!

What's the rule, at your track, for refusing a claim?

To answer your question; from your description, there's nothing you can do to a box stock engine that will make it sound that good. Of course I'm just going by your description.

A track, with no post race inspection, is not a place I would want to race at.

What did they check in Tech ? What are the track's rules on the Box Stock class ? Racers with the advantage of using a builder with a dyno can find loopholes in the rules and exploit them for more power . Unless it is clearly stated in the rules about what can and cannot be done , builders will tweak engines . I would say from what you described , and if they didn't do a complete Tech , that probably the head or block was milled some and the timing worked on , as well as carbs . A good Tech should have noticed the difference .

If they have a claimer rule then claim one. I can tell you this for certain, at least a big events-nobody up front is running a true out of the box Predator. Many builders are getting $400-$600 for good ones. Does that go against the spirit and intent of the class? You bet but hey, if they willing to spend $500 on a Predator with the risk of it getting claimed for $150 more power to them! LOL

What did they check in Tech ? What are the track's rules on the Box Stock class ? Racers with the advantage of using a builder with a dyno can find loopholes in the rules and exploit them for more power . Unless it is clearly stated in the rules about what can and cannot be done , builders will tweak engines . I would say from what you described , and if they didn't do a complete Tech , that probably the head or block was milled some and the timing worked on , as well as carbs . A good Tech should have noticed the difference .
I'm not sure what they checked in tech if any thing other than the rpm rule they have.I know they were not held up long after each class so I assume not much was checked at all.From looking at the tracks online rules it was suppose to be true box stock 5500 rpm rule with gov hooked up.I wasn't running there just went to watch the race.I use to build alot of engines 20 years ago when I was racing back then so I could clearly tell the engines were clearly built.If I was running the class I would definitely have claimed one.

Bet if you got to look at the front runners tachs, you would see very little rpm drop. That would make most sound strong. Not saying they haven't been opened up, but motor isn't everything in the predator classes. Got to keep these little fellows turning

Very little rpm drop lap after lap makes them seem different no doubt about it. Loose tolerances,blue printed carbs, max stroke cranks, max length rods, low tension rings, light weight oil, getting the valves to seal, correct gearing, max lift cams, and tires tires tires.

Bet if you got to look at the front runners tachs, you would see very little rpm drop. That would make most sound strong. Not saying they haven't been opened up, but motor isn't everything in the predator classes. Got to keep these little fellows turning
I actually talked to an old friend to there that running one of the classes and he showed me his tach and he was only losing 150 rpm and was mid pack at best... I was standing next to where they came off track and they sounded different at idle than those running mid pack

I actually talked to an old friend to there that running one of the classes and he showed me his tach and he was only losing 150 rpm and was mid pack at best... I was standing next to where they came off track and they sounded different at idle than those running mid pack
I can't imagine, someone with your experience, racing, building, and still they question your ability to hear the difference between a good engine and a not so good engine.

No one's answered my question; can someone refuse a claim? What happens to the person who refuses a claim? And why such a high claiming price? If it's stock, out-of-the-box, $60 premium is a little high. Seems to me, if someone refuses a claim, not only should they lose their finishing position, but also their privilege to run the class. Forever!! Let's get serious; box stocks is box stock, no exceptions, you must comply!

Let's face it, track owners have the class to attract inexperienced new Karter's, let's keep it that way.

If they sound different they probably have camshafts that don't belong in there.
I'm sure the cam would be the big difference but I would think you would have to work the carb for the cam to help also...I think those up front definitely had alot of fine tuning on the Dyno but I just found it very hard to believe they were completely box stock parts...I guess those running up front figured if they had already won the big money and someone claimed the engine who cares

I'm sure the cam would be the big difference but I would think you would have to work the carb for the cam to help also...I think those up front definitely had alot of fine tuning on the Dyno but I just found it very hard to believe they were completely box stock parts...I guess those running up front figured if they had already won the big money and someone claimed the engine who cares
Don't you just love it, you play by the rules and the track management doesn't. Entry fees are "King". Is it any wonder that people don't stay with the sport!!

Don't you just love it, you play by the rules and the track management doesn't. Entry fees are "King". Is it any wonder that people don't stay with the sport!!
I'm sure Don is right about tech officials not knowing what to look for....I bet if the track would have gave out the engines that night to them if would have been completely different outcome...one thing I've seen online at some other tracks in the area is they also have a clutch/gear rule on them classes...I think that's a good idea also

I'm sure Don is right about tech officials not knowing what to look for....I bet if the track would have gave out the engines that night to them if would have been completely different outcome...one thing I've seen online at some other tracks in the area is they also have a clutch/gear rule on them classes...I think that's a good idea also
In Southern California they had a KT100 beginners class. 1995 I think. It was real popular. The yearly points champion was forced out of the class into the regular KT100 class. It wasn't a perfect solution, for instance, the driver I was helping won 8 out of 10 races, by a wide wide margin, but didn't finish 2 races so didn't win the championship. Still, it did give the newer drivers a place to hide while they learned this sport.

Back