What can be done to a true box stock to improve power

Sound comes from the exhaust. Ponder that a little!! I know the tricks they are doing but tracks don’t have trained tech to find all the little tweaks that shouldn’t be
Care to share those tricks?...that was my question in the post....I think people running those classes should know what to look out for and be able to point out that to tech officials....I remember when the clones first started and it looks like the preadators are heading the same direction...they are suppose to cut the cost of racing...so if people running the classes and tracks are informed maybe they could keep the cost down

In true box stock form you will find that the guys who are winning are doing so on tires, corner speed and momentum. Lift off the gas and you're toast. And in most cases you could trade engines with them and they will still beat you.
I will agree 100% tires tires tires. The other MAJOR factor being gearing.

In true box stock form you will find that the guys who are winning are doing so on tires, corner speed and momentum. Lift off the gas and you're toast. And in most cases you could trade engines with them and they will still beat you.
I completely understand all this and I know most races are won with tires and chassis setup but the race I was talking about the front runners were clearly built engines for sure....Again I've been invovled in dirt oval karting on and off for 30 years or so and we won our share of races back in the day before clones and preadators came along....Also I built alot of flathead engines back in the day that ran upfront so I can tell the difference in the sound of the engines on the track and at idle at the scales.... What amazes me is how the track owners/tech officials can't see this or don't want to see it...I guess they figure well if some one finishes behind them they have the option to claim the engines so oh well

I want you to go to one of those races and take a new in the box predator and $100 and offer to trade one of those top runners prior to the days racing events. It will tell you right quick if its legal or not. Even if you end up with $200 in that stock predator you are still $800 off a good running clone right?

Sixteen years of experience should be enough , that most answers are obvious .
The power building tips and tricks are unchanged .
When you go too a money race , you know that Little Johnny is going to be at a disadvantage . Even with tech there are no national rule sets .
If the rule is 5500 on the stand ; your engine passes that test .
You pass .

Where I live box stock was introduced a few years ago and it took off pretty well as a class. Wasn't too lon before, like in most other places, they weren't box stock anymore. Fast forward to 2020 and nearly all the tracks have a true box stock class. The abuse was so bad earlier that they really look for the sins of the past. The old box stock class still exists and theyre still almost as fast as the stock appearing class. At this point I was referring to the new right out of the box class in my original post.

Most of the tracks here in the south have a 5500 rpm limit .and must look stock with all the stock parts an pieces on them .. that’s all they do is look at the engine sitting on the kart and check the rpms .. PS don’t bring a knife to a gun fight .. it won’t be fun

Most of the tracks here in the south have a 5500 rpm limit .and must look stock with all the stock parts an pieces on them .. that’s all they do is look at the engine sitting on the kart and check the rpms .. PS don’t bring a knife to a gun fight .. it won’t be fun
Ok...maybe I just didn't understand how some of the tracks are wording "must be box stock with 5500 rpm rule"..... apparently tracks are just letting them just do whatever as long as it looks stock....if that's the case I think they should reword it to must be stock appearing with 5500 rpm rule so all the newer racers know when they get good at chassis/tires they are still not going to be able to run up front without a $600 or more built box stock engine....the way I'm seeing it now you might as well move to the built clones at that point

It’s amazing how a full blueprint a top notch hand picked head and carb a good set of springs and a CL1 cam will pick one up and wow it still surges at 5500! All kinds of power below 5500 it never had tho. Then they allow open clutch to top it off.

Exactly Don, the train starts rolling and there’s no looking back. I already know a $500 and more predators bought off of big name engine builders for “box stock”. I know everyone wants to win I get it.... but this predator deal is a really good thing and it’s gonna go away to the dogs just like the last flathead replacement did.

We got a group of guys here in Nebraska that run the adult predator 212 class and they practically lap the field. And for the life of me can’t figure it out. Gotta be some major tuning on the dyno and some small changes internally...

The biggest problem I see is the 5500 RPM rule, our tracks max RPM is 5000, and we are not seeing much dominance by anyone.. a camshaft change at 5500 is a big gain over a “stock camshaft” but if you lower the RPM rule to 5000 then the ground cams are not much of a performance gain, the claim rule is the best option, but seems that racers all want to gripe about cheating and don’t have the ability to put up the $$$ and claim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back